I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #1  

dgeesaman

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
Nothing too expensive I hope, just a manual grease gun should do.

I had one before I owned the tractor and it would ooze oil anytime I stored it. Grease is designed to stay put and is easily sealed with o-rings so even though it felt heavy and solid I suppose it was cheap?

David

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #2  
Ive been using a Lincoln 1134 for years now. Great gun.
41QkfomL1dL._SX385_.jpg

Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun with Whip Hose and Rigid Pipe : Amazon.com : Automotive

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil
I saw that one listed in another old thread about grease guns. Does it keep relatively tidy?

David

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #4  
Yes. But it is a grease gun after all;)

It doesnt ooze or leak when you pump it or store it if thats what you mean.

The type of grease used can make a difference too. Some grease really sheds oil in the summer heat, while others hold their oils in suspension just fine, others act like lard on a stove and go right to a liquid state. A grease gun's seals are designed for thick grease not thin oil and even the best gun can leak oil out the tube if the weather gets hot enough and the grease releases it s oil. Better quality grease usually doesnt go as oily as the cheap stuff.

What type of grease are you using? I usually use this Lubex EP Gr.2 :Irving Quality Lubricants & Specialty Fluids :: Grease Bearings Its not that expensive, nor is it some fancy "boutique" grease made by a specialty refiner, but is a decent grease used by probably 60% (likely even more) of the heavy equipment operators in this area.

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #5  
I use the pistol grip gun from JD. I think it runs about $25-30. I have two of them and I've used them for years.
grease_gun_480606.jpg

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil
I've got a couple of tubes of Mobilith SHC 460 that would seep oil from the old grease gun. Once those are gone I'm not sure what I'll buy.

David

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #7  
The current unit I have doesn't leak/ooze now with the stuff JD sells but when I was running a synthetic grease I purchased at Attwood's it separated and what remained congealed and was worthless. What kind of grease are you using. You might get some helpful opinions...or it end up like a motor oil question.

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #9  
If you want an inexpensive one, I cannot help. If you can afford the Milwaukee M12 battery operated gun, you will not be disapointed. I bought one a couple years ago when they had a great trade-in offer, so the price seemed reasonable. I was also already using these M12 batteries so that helped sell me.
The gun has not leaked or oozed any oil or grease since I bought it. It has shot about ten tubes of grease. The M12 lithium ion batteries are amazing, the first charge lasted a year of greasing, including one day of six tubes shot into a field disk I brought home. If this gun is in your budget, you will love it.

/ I need a grease gun that won't leak or ooze oil #10  
Lots of good points on grease above, but consider this. Some grease is designed to "bleed". they work well in sealed bearings. Some are not, they work well in pin joints. Grease is a combination of an oil (wich can have a thick or thin viscosity) and a "soap" base. The base is normally lithium, most common, or calcium for higher temps. Sometime other additives are added like graphite or moly. For sealed bearings a #1 consistancy grease should be used. For not well sealed bearings a #2 with a heavier base oil should be used. For pin joints a #2 or 3 with a heavy base oil and possibly graphite or moly.
OK, so now how do I get by with one grease ? If you are running heavy equipment a lot, you don't. Use the right grease for the right part. For me running a JD on a part time basis and some other small equipment, I use a #2 grease recommended for auto chasis lube. (today these greases provide excellent lubrication in lots of applications). If you use this for pin joints, grease often.
Even a good grease gun will bleed some greases through the nozel, especially in warm weather. The most important consideration is how much pressure can the gun produce to free up and clean up tough joints. A lever gun is better than a pistol grip and should put out 3-5,000 psi. (You can check with a grease fitting attached to a pressure gage.)