Cheap 100g storage tanks

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #1  

zuiko

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 990 4WD
The steel rectangular ones you can mount in trucks look allright, but they are pretty pricey, around $250. Is there a cheaper option for about 100g of storage? I'm planning on getting fuel delivered so I'd want something that will hold at least 100g.

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #2  
Might try contacting your local fuel supplier or CO-OP.
They might supply above ground tank with hose.
Worth a call.

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #3  
I'm trying to do the same thing, and am having trouble. The local supplier has informed me that it is illegal to deliver fuel to a non "UL Approved" container. Those nice square white containers at TractorSupply (nice but pricey) are "DOT Approved", which isn't good enough. He says they pump at 100 gallons per minute and the UL listing is for pressurization of the tank during pumping. The minimum tanks they sell are 250 gallons, way too much for me, since I'm only using about 60 gallons per year.

- Patrick

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #4  
Myself and two neighbors formed a diesel fuel "club". We purchased a 285 gal skid tank with a Gasboy rotary hand pump complete with hose, nozzle and resettable counter from Agway Energy Products. We also purchase our "off road" or "red diesel" from them at prices that are 51 cents per gallon below low sulpher highway diesel. The equipment cost just over $400, but the advantages are worth it to us. The convenience of not running out of fuel and not handeling five gallon jugs is great. We also don't have to buy seasonally adjusted blends which are thinned out with kerosine at the distributor level. By ordering our supply in summer, we always recieve unaltered "sweet" fuel to which we add Stanodyne Performance Additive which lowers the pour point without loss of cetaine. The pump has a padlock for which we all have a key and we split all the costs three ways. We also have the ability to add two more members to the club, since we only order 150 gals at present. We are very happy with this arrangement. We might do it for gasoline as well! Hope this helps, Arthur

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #5  
Boomer33,

How do you keep track of how much fuel each one uses? What if you and one of the other neighbors only use 50 gal. between the two of you, the other neighbor gets a great rate on the 100 gal. he uses? Just kinda wanted to know, as my one neighbor has suggusted this to me. But I already have a 35gal. barrel and pump that works for me. Of course guess where they go when they run out and only need alittle to finish up what they are doing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have even suggusted they get their own barrels, but it falls on deaf ears. If the one neighbor's home brew beer that he pays me back with wasen't so dam good, I would say something /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #6  
Von: How long is a string? Neighbors are neighbors! We do this for convenience. Did you ever borrow a cup of sugar or whatever from a neighbor? The money saved by getting "off road" offsets any imbalances in consumption. Maybe this year your neighbor gets a bargain; maybe next year you do! No big deal! Also, keep in mind that the pump has a gallon counter which enables all to view what their consumption is. Keep a record of your usage and if it doesn't net out, discuss this with your partners. I'm sure if they are good neighbors they will want to make it all right. The group you will form will be small enough for all to monitor and make adjustments as needed. When your neighbors realize what a great do this is, they will be willing to anti-up for any overage on their part. Try it; it will work!!

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks
I'm trying to do the same thing, and am having trouble. The local supplier has informed me that it is illegal to deliver fuel to a non "UL Approved" container. Those nice square white containers at TractorSupply (nice but pricey) are "DOT Approved", which isn't good enough.

Interesting, I hadn't even thought that would be a problem. For how much they charge for those tanks you'd think it would be OK. I guess I'll probably get a 250 gallon fuel oil tank and keep it half full. I think i can get one for less than $250 anyway.

The only thing about going this way is I will have to make some legs for it since they don't have a flat bottom.

/ Cheap 100g storage tanks #8  
I would just ask the driver when he delivers HE may be willing to fill it for you. My company said "we aren't supposed to so if your container leaks yer' on yer' own but we will".

Fair enough, they will be filling a 55 gallon plastic drum next delivery.