Engine oil

/ Engine oil #1  

pfuller3124

Tractor
1994 Ford 3930
What type of oil should I use in a 1994 ford 3930 Diesel engine ?

/ Engine oil #2  
Plain old Rotella 15-40 will do just fine.

/ Engine oil #4  
Rotella is ok but there are better oils for the same money. Delvac, Dello 400, ect. Any in 15W40.

Rotella is the McDonald's of oil.

Chris

/ Engine oil #6  
Rotella is ok but there are better oils for the same money. Delvac, Dello 400, ect. Any in 15W40.

Chris

Do you have any UOA or VOA proof (that you can post) that show 1 of the oils you listed is any better/worse than the others listed

/ Engine oil #7  
in your are / climate.. any C rated 15w40 is liekly fine.. even walmart or store brand.. You could also run a 10w30 C rated in the cold times.. or a 5w40 C rated syn oil.

I'd make my oil type / brand choice based on what i did with the tractor. how often it was used.. how many hours it saw.. and what your service schedule is.

/ Engine oil #8  

Chris

"Better" Is actually relative.

Plain old Rotella T is the standard by which all others are measured. Some are "Better" due to add packs that address one aspect or another slightly better, most however are not.

If unique demands are made, then by all means, either a more frequent change interval or using something else that better fits the unique requirements should be used.

In the end however, the baseline is still plain old Rotella, and until UOA indicates a need for something else, one cannot honestly say another is "Better".

/ Engine oil #9  
As has been said, any good quality 15w-40 diesel rated oil should be fine.
I have 6 diesel engines, so I buy mine in 55 gallon drums, and get whatever the bulk plant has the best price on. I've used Rotella, Delvac, Delo, XD-3, etc. The last two drums have been Mobil Fleet.

/ Engine oil #10  
we use plenty of bulk mobil products where i work.

ever had an issue with them.