What diesel to use in a really cold climate.

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate. #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I remember 25 years ago when my wife and I each had diesel vehicles, before global warming when the temperature here hit 30 below zero on a regular basis and my wife didn't properly prepare for the cold temperatures. She would start off to work and 10 min. later walk in the door saying my car won't run. She would take my diesel and then I would spend half a day getting her car back to our garage to get it thawed out. Fortunately I live on a road that probably has one car an hour that travels on it.

So after dealing with diesels for 30 years, here is the solution if you live in a cold climate. Use #1 diesel when the temperature is likely to be below freezing. #1 has a gel point of -40 degrees F. If it is colder than that you should probably stay home. Since #1 diesel has poor lubricating qualities, add a lubricant. I use Opti Lube XPD. There are three disadvantages to using #1:

- it has less energy than #2 diesel fuel
- it has less lubricating qualities than #2 diesel fuel
- it costs more than #2 diesel fuel

All it takes is one experience with a gelled motor to make you realize that using #1 diesel is the best solution to the gelling problem.

Some people on this forum have indicated that #1 diesel is not available in their area, which is a shame. That is probably because it doesn't get brutally cold very often in their area. An alternative to #1 would be kerosene which is considerably more expensive, at least in my area, but still preferable to dealing with a gelled up engine.

The problem with "winterized" diesel is that it is a blend of #1 and #2 diesel. #2 diesel begins to gel at +40 degrees F. As I said #1 begins to gel at -40 degrees F. If you have a 50-50 blend of #1 and #2, your fuel should begin gelling at zero. The problem is the pump doesn't tell you what that blend ratio is. I can remember one time, as an experiment, I asked the clerk at several stores what the blend was, or at what temperature the diesel would begin to gel, and as you might expect they had no idea what I was talking about. So the moral of this story is when you are buying blended diesel, you have no idea what you're getting. This was my wife's problem. She would buy the "winterized" diesel and we would have a really cold spell, and the fuel would gel up.

Sometimes you hear people here say that they just put a fuel additive in their #2 diesel to stop gelling. The problem here is the same problem as with blended diesel. How much of the fuel additive do you add in order to bring you down to the gel point that you are looking for. I have yet to see a fuel additive that gives you a ratio of fuel additive to diesel for various temperatures. Surely people are not foolish enough to think that you would add the same amount of fuel additive if the temperature is expected to be zero versus -40 below zero.

The simple solution is to use #1 diesel fuel with a lubricating additive when temperatures are going to be below freezing. You'll never have a problem if you do this.

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate. #3  
Why would you want to put a fuel that has a less lubricating properties than #2? 30 years ago ULSD wasn't a term anyone heard of but now we have to live with it and the fact that removing the sulfur also lowers the lubricating properties to a point where it barely meets industry standards. Removing the wax from the #2 lowers it even further. It's fine for occasional use but if I was going to run it all winter long I would add something to raise it's lubricating properties up. It's easier and less hassle to just pick up a bottle of power service with anti-gel (or another brand) and stick with #2.

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate. #5  
I was using power service until I read the lubrication fuel thread which proved that it doesn't have any lubricating properties. I don't remember which I switched to, but will look and get back to you....

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate. #6  
Stanadyne, Howes, Kleen Flo one shot are all excellent all in one additives.

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate. #7  
If you live in a really cold climate the service stations will have what you need in their tanks.:D

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate. #9  
I use a 50/50 mix of FPPF Total Power and 8+ Cetane improver year-around. This addresses anti-gel, lubricity of ULSD, Cetane (esp. important at high altitude), and a bunch of other stuff. Exactly what is required at what temperature is hard to tell though. What FPPF says is basically just double the treatment below 0 deg (F). Combined with a winter diesel mix, should get you through most conditions. In really cold weather (sometimes gets to -35deg F/C in Colorado) you are probably already running a winter fuel mix, but I would add additional anti-gel.

/ What diesel to use in a really cold climate.
If you live in a really cold climate the service stations will have what you need in their tanks.:D

Don't count it, if you have a really unusually cold spell. My wife used winterized diesel from the local service station and it gelled. Of course if you don't mind the hassle of gelled fuel, go for it!