Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    What is Marine Gas anyway?
    Marinas sell it for boats. Marketing thing. Most say it is just expensive gas.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...asoline.html#b

Tractor
    kubota b2620,b8200

Default Re: shelf life: premium vs reg?

I would bet on marine gas just being non ethanol, no more no less. Here in Md. it goes county by county where non ethenol is available ,dosent matter rather its sold for boats or not.

Tractor
    m8540

thanks for all the informed responses. sort of hard to get a consensus from it all...guess i'll stick w/87 or 89 & continue to treat w/stabil red & their version of ethanol treatment (2 separate products). & just rotate supplies best i can during off season. yes, would be good to hunt down non ethanol for the small engines, but will stick w/same gas for everything like i do motor oil..... btw, (being of old school) do you remember the days when you could dial in the octane rating @ the pump? (sunoco i think) or was it the leaded additive? thank again, cheers for the season......
    let the spirit of adventure set the tone

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by bandaidmd View Post
    I would bet on marine gas just being non ethanol, no more no less. Here in Md. it goes county by county where non ethenol is available ,dosent matter rather its sold for boats or not.
    +
    I would have thought the same thing, but one station that sells it, only sells non-ethanol gas and has 87,89 & 91 grades + Marine grade. I will ask him next time I stop there what the Marine grade is.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by TomSeller View Post
    Marinas sell it for boats. Marketing thing. Most say it is just expensive gas.

Auto Vs Marine Gasoline - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
    Thanks Tom.
    Murph ------------

Silver Member
    Tractor
    140 Farmall w/belly mower NH 1925 FEL/BH

my 2cts/ marine gas is a marketing ploy-it is 100% gas,also called conventional gas,ethanol-free gas or in other words "gas like it used to be"
    Here in the southeast, 100% gas is not available at all terminals and price varies wildly among different suppliers.
    E-10 gas or gas with 10% ethanol is a death sentence to small engines or storage that sits with no movement for extended periods of time. That stuff loves moisture, in fact it can actually separate in tank,become very cloudy in appearance and becomes DEAD GAS.Some of these small engines parts are not even compatible with E-10 gas/ o-rings,gaskets, etc
    my thoughts-the older gasoline engines are better served by running 100% gas w/93 octane/you know when it was built it ran on leaded gas/the 93 octane probably burns a little cleaner ?
    As far as all the gas being the same/ not really-it all comes thru the same pipeline but each branded supplier has their own additive package that is injected at time of loading at terminal/ some even put markers in additive package so if they want to take a sample at a retail location,that marker better show up or they know you are trying to sell unbranded product thru a branded site, a definite no-no.

You just can't go wrong with 100% gasoline.......... no problems-no worries
    LoopHole says- Got a tax problem ? Buy a tractor !

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    What is Marine Gas anyway?
    3 years ago our marinas stopped selling ethanol free gas. All we can get is 89 octane E10.

Chris

Tractor
    kubota b2620,b8200

Quote Originally Posted by big bubba View Post
    thanks for all the informed responses. sort of hard to get a consensus from it all...guess i'll stick w/87 or 89 & continue to treat w/stabil red & their version of ethanol treatment (2 separate products). & just rotate supplies best i can during off season. yes, would be good to hunt down non ethanol for the small engines, but will stick w/same gas for everything like i do motor oil..... btw, (being of old school) do you remember the days when you could dial in the octane rating @ the pump? (sunoco i think) or was it the leaded additive? thank again, cheers for the season......
    I remember sunoco dial a grade . Was it called 260 or 360

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

I remember Compression Ratio's of 11 to 1 and Higher. now a 9 to 1 or close is the norm. You needed the high Octane so you would not get pre ignition. Sunoco 260, 240 and 220.
    Murph ------------

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

It might have been suggested here already....

Consider shifting to Stabil blue/green product, that they market for marine use. It is more $ initially, but not in use, as the treatment ratio is better than red Stabil.

According to Stabil, they have boosted the level of detergents in the marine version. Ethanol aside (agreed it is a big issue), what you should be getting in Premium gas is a better additive/detergent package. If you are using Stabil already, you can accomplish the same by shifting to Blue, for probably less money than using red.

Rgds, D.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast