shelf life: premium vs reg?

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #41  
Something a lot of people don't think about in using gas for small engines is using Avgas. Though it is about $6 per gallon, you don't have to use any stabil and it is ethanol. If you read about it, it says the shelf life is only for 1 year but that is for the safety reasons. But I have used 2 year old Avgas before and works with no problems. Manily because of all the stuff they don't put in. It is just regular gas with no blends. I have been using it in all my engines and chainsaws etc. In fact it is all I use; I don't have to worry about adding anything to it for winter storage. In the spring I can go out to anything I have and it fires right up.

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #42  
Something a lot of people don't think about in using gas for small engines is using Avgas. Though it is about $6 per gallon, you don't have to use any stabil and it is ethanol. If you read about it, it says the shelf life is only for 1 year but that is for the safety reasons. But I have used 2 year old Avgas before and works with no problems. Manily because of all the stuff they don't put in. It is just regular gas with no blends. I have been using it in all my engines and chainsaws etc. In fact it is all I use; I don't have to worry about adding anything to it for winter storage. In the spring I can go out to anything I have and it fires right up.

Are you really convinced that using avgas (100LL) is a wise idea in small engines where the exhaust is usually in close proximity to the operator (as opposed to an aircraft), considering they use Lead to get the higher octanes?

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #43  
Are you really convinced that using avgas (100LL) is a wise idea in small engines where the exhaust is usually in close proximity to the operator (as opposed to an aircraft), considering they use Lead to get the higher octanes?

I have been using it for years along with my dad who has used it for years. That use to be all you could buy before the 70's

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #44  
I have been using it for years along with my dad who has used it for years. That use to be all you could buy before the 70's

Yes, but they used to put lead in paint and many other things that they simply don't do anymore. Isn't lead something you really want to avoid trying to ingest or inhale now days?

Personally, I'm really not sure I want to spend the day inhaling lead from my chainsaw, weed eater, and ice auger....

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #45  
Well it is just a suggestion. You can take it or leave it. I have used it all my life and so has my dad. Being that close to the exhaust and breathing it is as harmful as suggested, somebody should let all the aviation mechanics in on this because we smell a lot of it working on engines all the time. Not trying to be smart ***.

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #46  
We use 100LL around here. We are talking 5 gallons a year max.

Chris

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #47  
100LL is all I've used in chainsaws/weedwackers/antique tractors for I imagine 20 years.

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #48  
If I don't work in aviation, can I walk into a small airfield with a gas can, and ask to buy 100LL ?

Not trying to be funny, that is a genuine question.

Rgds, D.

/ shelf life: premium vs reg? #49  
av gas always ran better than anything else in my old 2-stroke bikes, however lead makes rings stick in 2 stokes. cam 2 or vp. it sounds silly to by race fuel for 2 cycle machinery but if you like your equipment like I do its not so bad when you buy 5 gallons at a time. I also work in a carburetor shop, I see first hand what ethanol does. its not good. e-10 is junk in 1 month don't store it. here in MA its all you can get at the pump. no options.