Diesel cold weather issues

/ Diesel cold weather issues #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I have had problems over the years with running Diesel equipment in the cold. However, it is worse then usual and I wonder if someone knows what might actually be happening.

As for the symptoms, they are identical on three different pieces of equipment. Machine starts easily and runs, then dies when power is needed. They almost stall, but usually not and catch their breath. Only to start the same cycle when put to work. All have fuel tanks, filters and electric pumps that don't get any engine heat.

I keep large quantities of diesel on hand that has unknown winter/summer blending at any given time. I try and top up the tanks in late fall/early winter to get more winter fuel in there. I have been using Lucas extreme cold weather additive in the machine fuel tanks, which does seem to keep the fuel from gelling.

I more suspect water. Possible ice or ice chrystals that must get sucked forward, blocking the fuel when more fuel is needed.

What can I do?

I have a filter on my Road Diesel tank, but I suspect that when one is pulling through large volumes of fuel, it doesn't have the time to let the water settle to the bottom. In fact, if the suction pipe doesn't go all the way down, it shouldn't be picking up water anyway, right?

So, where is all my water coming from? I'm kind of at my witts end on this one.

/ Diesel cold weather issues #2  
If at all possible try to have tanks as empty as possible when filling up with winter fuel. Summer and winter fuels are different densities. Summer fuel is more heavy and will tend to stay at bottom of tank. Also if your getting ice in lines and filters at the end of the day when things are still warm fill your tank up so than there is less room once it cools of for condensation to occur. Also use a good conditioner.

/ Diesel cold weather issues #3  
The new Ultra Low Sulfer fuel tends to keep water in suspension rather that seperating out like the old fuel did.
This makes it very difficult to remove the water from it. Keep changing your filters.

Good luck

/ Diesel cold weather issues #4  
If there water in your diesel tank and you refill the tank you might be mixing diesel and water again,take time to separate...have added any diesel anti gel to tank.

Water maybe coming from condensation..dealer hasn't cut diesel yet.

/ Diesel cold weather issues
Older traditional machines all had the old glass fuel filter bowl. Many new machines just have canister filters it seems. Maybe this is a failing. If for no other reason, the glass bowl allowed you to see what is what. Is there someone that sells a premium line of filtration equipment? My fuel dealer just told me about water paste, which I now remember I had once seen. I should put that on a stick to see to what extent my bulk tanks are contaminated with water.

/ Diesel cold weather issues #6  
These two fuel treatments have good recommendations. I was getting clacking with my lifters and the Howes treatment took it away with a couple of treatments. Recently with the cold snap my 5.9 Cummins was running rough on starts so I am trying the Seafoam.

Howes Lubricator
http://seafoamsales.com/

/ Diesel cold weather issues #7  
Any chance you would be able to add in a water separator on your machines? I would double up on any of your additives the first time around when it gets cold.Also keep doing it until your problems go away. If it is water it will take some time to work it out unless you have a drain on the bottom of your tanks. From what you are saying is happening to your machines i would say that your not getting the fuel you need.

/ Diesel cold weather issues
I guess it's not uncommon to have water in the bottom of the tractors tank and maybe in the bottom of the fuel filter. The problems seem to start when this water freezes. Yes, I want to add a water seperator on at least one machine. Something with a glass bowl.

One really slick fuel filter I saw on E-Bay has a bowl, float switch to indicate water presence, 12 volt electric heater and provisions for coolant lines! Now, that's what I need!

Curious. If Methyl hydrate is really safe to use on a diesel and does it actually melt ice? And how quickly? It's one thing to talk about prevention, but how does one get going again, when it's **** cold and you got ice in your system?

Edit: Was just googling Methyl Hydrate. One manufacturer specifically states, do not add to Diesel Fuel!

On another note. I wonder, when Lucas gives instructions on mixing their Extreme Cold Product, is this considerting already having winter fuel? Maybe I need a lot more with my thicker summerish fuel, but how much of this expensive stuff am I supposed to use? Does anyone think that this stuff actually improves fuel economy?

Last edited:
   / Diesel cold weather issues #9  
in the past i have had water troubles with 2 gas engines. perhaps this story will help - perhaps not.

a farmall 300 constantly had water trouble. i would add dry gas and the glass bowl would fill with water, after which i wiould drain the bowl and get a few hours of running out of the engine. the cure was to remove the pipe that the bowl was attached to. the pipe stuck up into gas tank about an inch. this meant that there was about an inch of water in the tank all the time. by removing the pipe i got a lot of water out [ maybe a gallon] and the engine ran well after that.

a ford truck had almost the same trouble. to cure it i drove a nail into the gas tank and drained out the water. i saved a quart of rotten water in a jar.

water will mess you up. luck-ray

/ Diesel cold weather issues #10  
Don't rule out bio-diesel as a contributor. The CPP (clouding pour point) of bio-D is a lot warmer than neat ULSD #2, let alone #1. The "fatty acids" in bio-D won't pass thru most primary filters any better than ice crystals will.