Are there other uses for bar & chain oil?

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #1  

JD 4520

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520
I have several cases of HYPERION high-tac bar and chain oil that I can't use in my lifetime for my saws and wondering if there are other good uses for the oil?

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #2  
I find it excellent to use when drilling holes in metal where the surface is not horizontal.

I had to drill holes in my trailer I beams to install the WD hitch. I'd dip the drill bit in the oil and it would stick around longer. I probably used an ounce of oil.

You could go to Arborist site and trade it probably.

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #3  
nice to use to preserve the plowshares before putting away the plow. Spray it under the car and drive a few laps on a dusty dirt road then you have cheap underbody protectection. If you do concrete work and will use the same mold several times brush a little oil inside. When you clean your lawnmower last time for the season, have a little oil in a bag which you run over on high rpm so you do not get as much rust inside

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #4  
:laughing: like the bag of oil. I prefer a paint brush when the deck is off the tractor. (Kills less grass too :thumbsup:)

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #5  
Just trade it for something you need. Even firewood.

Chris

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #6  
I have several cases of HYPERION high-tac bar and chain oil that I can't use in my lifetime for my saws and wondering if there are other good uses for the oil?

post a "for trade" ad on C.L. and see what gets offered...you never know...!

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #7  
GP oil in the pump can, for use on just about everything that needs oiling, especially stuff that is outdoors and exposed to the elements.

Our old Harvester is Roller chain driven at all four corners, and nothing sticks like Bar oil.
Using dedicated chain lube would cost us hundreds of bucks a season, and more than a roller chain.

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #8  
+1 on the oil undercoat. The local mechanic Heats it up and runs it through a sprayer then runs the vehicle over a dusty gravel road. He's careful to not oil the exhaust system.

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil? #9  
+1 on the oil undercoat. The local mechanic Heats it up and runs it through a sprayer then runs the vehicle over a dusty gravel road. He's careful to not oil the exhaust system.

Raw linseed oil heated is also good as undercoating oil.

/ Are there other uses for bar & chain oil?
I just spoke with an expert at the oil company and he said that most bar and chain oil is formulated with a tackifier that causes the oil to stick to the chain. So you would not want to use it in any engine but it could definitely be used as some of you are suggesting as a coating to stick to something / anything. It would be better as a coating than just standard oil as it would be tacky and stick. Just as thought.