Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2210

Default Re: Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water

In the state of Indiana, on road fuel tax is $.404 per gallon. At 55 gallons that equals $22.22 or $2.02 for 5 gallons.
    The off road diesel have more sulpher than on road, but that is going to change soon also.

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

Pulled in to get some off road (no dye) at the local truck stop the other day. Before I shoved the nozzel down in my yellow can I noticed the previous purchaser had bought $169.00 worth. Must have had a lot of cans. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Steve

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 1845, Bobcat A300, JD Trail Gator

<font color="red"> off road (no dye) </font> [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 990 4WD

I've never seen a no-tax diesel pump around here (rural Minnesota). Not sure if any are forbidden or what. I have seen no-tax kerosene pumps though. Would sure be nice to not pay the tax.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( off road (no dye) )</font>

Bob, I think the rules (laws) are different in different states (and at different times). I've never bought or used any of the dyed fuel myself. I used to just go to the distributor and buy diesel and he kept a form on file that I had signed that it would only be used off road. Then they changed it so I had to register with the state and give the distributor a copy of the registration form I got from the state and I could buy diesel tax free for off road use. But within the last year, I got a letter from the state saying I couldn't buy anything but the dyed diesel tax free in the future (and of course since I've moved back to town, I'm not buying diesel anyway). So the laws keep changing every time our legislature meets. You know in Texas the "normal" legislative session is 180 days every 2 years and lot of folks think they need to swap those numbers around. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 1845, Bobcat A300, JD Trail Gator

Bird, certainly laws do differ by state and the rate of tax on fuel varies by state. However, I was under the impression that the requirement for dye in non-taxed diesel also related to the federal fuel tax. My understanding is that there is a federal tax on diesel used "on road" that is uniformly applied in all states.

Tractor
    TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans

Pineridge,

Last figures I recall, which has been a while, was ~1.45 for on road and .98 for off road.

As the other guys noted two drums of off road is a lot cheaper than two drums of on road. ~$25 / drum.

Fred

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Here in fl.. many of the truck stops also have a lane with a no-duty pump.. is offroad, and is dyed.. Some of the mom-n-pop stations also have the home heating oil / kero pumps.. etc..

Soundguy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1998 JD 770 & 2004 Toro LX417

Dyeing off road diesel fuel is a Federal Requirement. The Federal Tax on diesel (and gasoline) is fixed nationwide, and the funds are to be deposited into the Highway Trust Fund for roads. State fuel taxes vary from state to state.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

I didn't consider that the savings between the 2 fuels would amount to that much difference. Now I understand why guys are stockpiling 250 gallon tanks of diesel. But does it keep without going sour or gathering condensation in an above ground steel tank located in an unheated area. Should a person consider burying the diesel tank to protect it from sudden temperature swings? questions, questions, questions...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast