Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #1  

KR8L

I just bought a small Kubota, and don't forsee using great quantities of fuel, so I've decided to buy five gallons at a time. My dealer told me that I would be better off buying off-road diesel instead of the stuff at the local gas station, since the off-road fuel will have less moisture in it. (He said that typical car and truck engines could handle the water but that tractor engines are less tolerant.)

I'd appreciate hearing what experience others have with this issue. It's only a couple of miles into town to buy the road stuff, and about ten miles up the highway to get ag diesel. It's worth the trip if it will save me down time in the future.

I'm using Power Service additive, and I've read the discussions regarding "Mr. Funnel," condensation in storage, etc. Any advice?

Thanks,

-- Bill

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #2  
<font color="blue"> instead of the stuff at the local gas station, since the off-road fuel will have less moisture in it. </font>
Just guessing here...I imagine he's referring to what could happen if a station doesn't sell a lot of diesel fuel and it sits in the underground tanks for a while and moisture condenses. But that could happen to a place that sells off road diesel, too. It all depends on how much they sell.

You will save some money buying off road, but at only 5 gallons at a time, I'd skip the extra 10 miles and just buy the fuel in town. Does the station in town sell a fair amount of diesel or is this place have a pump that sits off to the side that's got cobwebs growing on it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If it's like the place I buy mine (15 gallons at a time in three 5 gallon containers), it gets a good mixture of diesel cars and trucks, so the fuel is fresh. Before filling up the cans, I pour in some PowerService and I'm all set for a couple of months.

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #3  
I always go to the local truck stop to buy fuel becasue you know the diesel has go to be fresh when truckers are putting a couple hundred dollars worth in at a time.

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the best compromise is to drive about five miles to the truck stop out by the Interstate and fill up there.

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #5  
The off road is a lot cheaper.

Maybe get your self a 30 or 55 gal drum and fill it up as needed with off road. You can then also use a hand pump and filter.
Some filters will catch water as well as particles.

Fred

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #6  
KR8L:

In my past life, I became involved with Diesel fuel from the road tax aspect and learned a few interesting things.

In general, (not considering cold weather anti-gelling additives), the only difference between #2 road diesel and off road diesel was the fact that one is taxed and the other not. Also, #2 home heating oil and #2 diesel as I understand it are also the same product.

To make it more difficult to cheat and use non-taxed off road diesel or home heating oil on the highway, the IRS followed the lead of Canada and started putting in red dye in off road diesel. Thus the saying tax or dye was used for us simple minded folks to keep it straight.

The other thing I learned was that there is very little profit in the sale of motor fuel, diesel or gasoline. A retailer may make only 4 or 5 cents profit per gallon. Therefore, if you see one dealer selling road fuel at 10 - 12 cents per gallon less than for what everyone else sells their road diesel, he is doing one of several things, all of which are illegal and are major Federal and State felony violations. He's either using some other fuel to mix with the diesel or he is buying the fuel illegally before it is dyed (which is very hard to do), or he is buying another product and dumping it in his tanks to mix with the diesel. Some dealers have mixed in used crankcase oil, some have even used toxic waste. The results are obvious.

Sometimes the dealers will buy the fuel and not know they are gettting garbage, but they should know because they get it pretty cheap.

The bottom line is to only buy from a reputable dealer and buy major branded products only, either diesel or gasoline.

I started using road diesel in my CUT and switched to off road diesel and saved about 40 cents per gallon. I immediately learned two things. (1) The off road nozzle is slightly larger and barely fits in my yellow plastic fuel can so make sure you buy one with a neck large enough to accomodate the off road fuel nozzle. (2) A dyed diesel fuel spill makes one heck of a mess.

Enjoy your new BX23.

Joe

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #7  
He ( the dealer has no clue) IDI diesels generaly used in off-road applications can handle water better or just as good as DI on highway. Water is in diesel approx. less than .05% is idea so your assumtion that you can buy x and not have water is a myth.

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #8  
Fred I have been told that around this part of the woods the difference between the 2 different types of diesel is about 5 cents a gallon. That relates to a savings of $2.75 on a 55 gallon drum if my math is correct. Is this what you consider a big savings or is it cheaper in your neck of the woods?

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #9  
PineRidge,

Here in Southeast Oklahoma road diesel (taxed) is selling for 1.479. Off road (untaxed) is selling for 1.159. If you have a bulk tank (I have a 300 gallon) you can buy off road for 1.005

/ Ag Fuel, Road Fuel, and Water #10  
Here in NY my heating oil (which I use) runs about $1.19, road diesel is around $1.59..........