What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator?

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator? #1  

pwright

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Bobcat CT225
Excavator is out at the property along with the manuals which might tell me what I need to know. Cat site is returning errors when I try to get the information there.

So any recommendations on what grease to pickup to lube the various pivot points in the bucket/dipper/stick?

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator? #2  
Really most heavy duty greases will work.. the more sticky the more better.:laughing:

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator?
I kinda figured as much but since the excavator is my brothers figured I'd try to use the right stuff for it. :)

I'll see what NAPA has in overpriced grease cartridges. :laughing:

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator? #4  
I've used the Lucas red grease on my excavator. When i had one. Now thats what i use on my tractor. I think it says something "sticky" on the cartridge. I can say that its the most sticky grease i have used and tends to stay longer where needed. I don't think its so much the right or wrong stuff its more a matter of making sure you use it. You'll see heavy equipment pictures on most the cartridges. From my experience i've noticed the cheaper the grease the more you need to apply.

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator? #5  
Cat recommends grease with minimum 5% moly. I get Cat grease but many suppliers provide 5% moly grease "meeting Caterpillar!s specification". Sticky black goo that withstands extreme pressures, resists washing out, and attracts your clothes whenever you get near it so all of my jeans and shirts have permanent moly black spots. I did say it resists washing out didn't I? Yup, means clothes too. I started out getting 3% moly at the local discount farm supply store until I found it was not a lot more expensive to buy from Cat - except for having to buy a case (12 cartridges) at a time.

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator? #6  
I 2nd the moly grease.
Pins & bushings need the moly to separate the pins & bushings under extreme pressures and slow surface speeds.
I've used it on all my equipment including vehicle king-pins, ball-joints & universals and have had exceptional results.
I bought a 5spd Dodge CTD new in 1990. I worked it very hard and took it off the road with over 300k on it with the original rear drive shaft universals still tight & usable.
The key is regular greasing.
I tell people that (Oil & Grease is your Friend)!!!
90cummins

/ What grease to use on a Cat 311C excavator?
Thanks guys! I grabbed a carton of 5% moly grease. Should be good to go now.