Smelly Rotella

/ Smelly Rotella #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
I just changed my oil at the 250 hour mark. Since winter is fast approaching, I decided to use Rotella Synthetic 5W40 in my New Holland TC40D. After I pulled the inner seal off the bottle, I detected a pungent, almost sulphurous odor. When I poured it, I noticed the smell was stronger and realized it was the oil.

I have never smelled any other fresh oil, synthetic or dino, that had such a strong, distinctive odor. Is this normal for Rotella Synthetic?

Mark

/ Smelly Rotella #2  
That is typical of Rotella. I have heard others refer to is as "Rosmella". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Smelly Rotella #3  
did I read that right? 5w40... I though current NH spec was 15w40.. or was that a 'big finger' mistake.

Soundguy

/ Smelly Rotella
No, it's 5W40. Did I do a no-no?
Book sez:
40 to 120 degrees 30W
10 to 120 degrees 15w40
-10 to 120 degrees 10w30
-20 to 60 degrees 5w30
Mark
PS I do, in fact, have big fingers.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Smelly Rotella #5  
No a C rated 5w-40 will replace any 15w-40 product of same C rating period (as in CF,CG,CH).

/ Smelly Rotella
Yeah, the TC40D requires API Services SG-CE. I think Rotella Synthetic is CH (?)
Mark

/ Smelly Rotella #7  
I wasn't talking oil to oil replacement specs.. just Nh specs... For warm environments ( florida).. my local NH dealer only reccomends the 15w40.. for their whole line tc 18 up thru the tn65 sitting on the lot..

Might just be a dealer thing.. I dunno.

Again.. same with my Nh 1920.. when i asked for oil and filter, the only oil they had on the shelf was the Nh brand 15w40.. your milage may vary though.. just reporting what I heard/saw.

So whats the word hear... dealer wrong? or what?

Soundguy

/ Smelly Rotella #8  
Cat recommends and has for many years 5w-40 to replace 15w-40. You can use it the ch-4 specs are alot more strict than any diesel today would use. I've used it and no problems.

/ Smelly Rotella #9  
I've been using it in my Dodge pickup with Cummins diesel motor. I like it, good product.

/ Smelly Rotella #10  
I have been using the Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in my L3710DT for about a year now. I have noticed that it is no longer stocked at Wal-Mart, so I may switch to the Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic since I'll have to either go a little further out of my way to get it or mail order it now anyway.
Regarding the weight issue, I have always thought that the first number in a multigrade oil (winter weight?) was the oil's performance at some standard winter temperature. The second number is the oil's performance at operating temperature. If this is true, then my Kubota engine basically can see very little difference between a 5W-40 and 15W-40 oil except that the 5W flows better in cold temps (and probably ordinary ambient temps to some degree), hopefully reaching necessary areas sooner after startup. By this same theory, I won't get near as much benefit from synthetics here in NW GA as some others in the northern states will but I'll get a little more benefit than Soundguy would in FL.