5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations

/ 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I'm looking to get a lever style pump of good quality for dispensing oil from 5 gallon pails. I have a simple plunger style currently which I'm not thrilled with. Any thoughts

/ 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations #2  
   / 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations #3  
Debated whether to post this or not. I don't pump my oil as the arthritis in my shoulders just makes it too much of a pain. I use a 20 lb propane tank with a 3/4" pipe brazed in that goes down to the bottom of the tank. That pipe has a hose with a valve on it that lets me control the flow of the oil. The valve also has a short piece of 1/2" copper pipe on the other end so that I can put the oil in where I want it. The tank also has a 1 1/2" close nipple brazed in that has a 1/4 turn ball valve on it so that I can pour oil into the propane tank. I also installed a pressure gauge (optional), a safety relief (not optional) and an air fill valve for an air chuck. It makes adding oil to a differential under a vehicle very easy. This idea can easily become very dangerous which is why I have a pressure relief valve. 60 lbs air pressure is plenty to move oil around. If you do build something like this take a moment to test the safety of your work. Fill the tank with water and close it all up with a grease zerk and a pressure gauge. Test to at least 100 lbs pressure with a grease gun. Happy oiling!

/ 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations #5  
I think my pump arm would wear out pumping 2 oz of oil per stroke with that. OK if just putting in oil to a rear differential, or a quart or so, but to put in a 5 gallon can full would take a while.

/ 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations #6  
I think my pump arm would wear out pumping 2 oz of oil per stroke with that. OK if just putting in oil to a rear differential, or a quart or so, but to put in a 5 gallon can full would take a while.

hey know what you mean...try 3x 5 gal for hyd change on the tractor! but....much less mess & chance for contaminates than other more primitive methods i've used. works great for ft axle & changing gear oil in all my vehicles.

/ 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations
Tried out the pump today doing an oil change on the Ford 4630. I have to say it works pretty well. I ended up buying a second one for the Super UDT 2 :thumbsup:

Well I used the second pump today, decided to do the hydrostatic fluid in the BX1500, did the engine oil while I was at it. Since I was having so much fun with the new pumps, I did the engine oil in the 3930 2wd. Need to get another 5 gallon pail of 10W30 and the 5610 will be next. Pumps work great, definately makes the oil changes a lot easier. I'm thinking a third pump will be in the future for the NH hydraulic oil. I've got 3 tractors due for hydraulic oil changes, 40 odd gallons, can't wait :shocked: maybe a drum of hydraulic oil should be in my future

/ 5 gallon pail of oil, need pump recommendations #10  
not sure were i picked it up at.... it is a pump, that attaches to a wired/or cordless drill. has garden hose ends on both sides of it. rated for water, oils, diesel, (not regular gas).

also have a couple "hand siphon pumps" toss 5 gallon can of gas up on tractor, stick long hard tube down in can, then stick flex hose down in gas can on tractor, turn a little nob on top and a couple squeezes to start siphon and away it goes. same thing for 5 gallon bucket of oil. i only remember them for use in the old kerosone heaters used as extra heat in the winter, and fueling them up. till a few years back, and now use them for generator, and tractor, and dumping gas into a vehicle if need be.

my issue with the 2 hand lever pumps the others linked to, is they sputter and spit and drip oil during use. and a slight bump and hose falls out. granted always better than dealing with a variety of funnels and have an assortment at that, for what funnel works better without flipping over and spilling.

i might have to check to see if a sprayer pump (for spraying weeds and/or the lawn) can handle oils. more so the pumps with electronic pressure switch for use of a hand wand. for pressure on demand. 12v battery with a battery minder/charger hhmmsss....