Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
When do the suppliers typically switch over in the Great Lakes region?

Bob

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over #2  
I guess I'd be asking local suppliers that you might be purchasing from. Most of the respondents here will be stabbing in the dark.

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over #3  
My 'stab-in-the-dark' shot at it would be mid April to May. Better to ask your distributor.

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over
Again. (sigh).

I hear ya. This winter has been tough.:thumbdown:

This is my first diesel anything and I'm fillin it from cans. I've emptied both of my cans but the tractor has 3/4 of a tank which in this weather pattern, there is not a whole lot of tractor work to do right now.:(

We use a lot of fuel oil at work so I'll see if anyone has a contact at the supplier to talk to.

Bob

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over #7  
jaydee325,

Up here in the tundra, the pumps are posted for discontinuation of blending this coming Monday, March 31st. I suspect the supply doesn't last long, the diesel pumps have fairly rapid changeover here. Lots of diesel pickups up here (farmers, construction, outdoors folks, etc.).

I'm surprised some of your pumps don't have a blend chart by date also?

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over #8  
Jaydee,

If I'm guessing right, you're just north of me a ways.

That puts you in the Flemming Bros. delivery area..which is a good/bad thing.

Good because they turn over a high volume, and are great about minding the quality of the fuel and don't skimp on anti-gel come winter.
Bad because they are the 500lb Gorilla and set thier prices accordingly. They darn near have a monopoly on the area, and you have to find a independent that will deliver AND beat thier price.

Try getting quotes from Flemming, Richardsons in Lawrence, and call Hamilton Farm Bureau to see if they get down your way.
All three are outstanding to deal with on bulk fuels. Richardsons has the edge on price if they will get up and out your way.

Mid April is usually the switchover on #2 IIRC. Our region is tied to the Chitcago supply system by regs that dictate such things.

I wait until May to fill the bulk tanks to avoid the price fluctuations that always hit during change over.

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over
Dingeryote,

You are correct, I'm in Flemming area.

I'm really not using enough fuel to justify bulk though.

There is one station in town that is independant. He's associated with a grocery store. He somehow got tee'd off last summer and started a good old fashion gas war! Made the area news. It was a pretty crazy week!

/ Winter to Summer Diesel Change Over #10  
Jaydee,

One of the nice things about Richardsons in Lawrence is thier pumps on account.

Get signed up, and you just fill the transfer tank whenever you need, using the card swipe.
If you buy 300 gallons you get the bulk pricing, and avoid the market silliness.
That way you don't need a bulk tank, and can still save some $$

You shoulda been here in the late 70's when the Zephyr station started selling "Gasohol".
Flemings went mad dog on them until they closed up in the mid 80's. They have chased out just about every independent since then, with Sinclair Oil out of Hartford bieng the last to fall.
The Meijer going in will make a **** of a dent, and it's a good thing.

If you're buying from a retail pump, wait until mid April, so the change over is complete and any residual has been thinned down by several fills, unless it's a busy truck stop that gets a LOT of turnover.

Frost laws are still on so I have to wait anyhow...