oil additive

/ oil additive #1  

mclintoc

Tractor
2016 John Deere 5045e
My Ford 4000 (3 cyl.) does an excellent job leaking everywhere. I'm planning to change the transmission and rear axle fluid. I'm going to put UTF in. I'd also like to add something that might lessen some of the leaking. Can someone recommend a good additive?

/ oil additive #3  
I'll add a second vote for Lucas.

I haven't used their products for the particular application you have, but I'm a fan of their thicker version of their PS Stop Leak. As an additive manuf, the key is figuring out the right recipe for seal swellers and conditioners, for a specific appliction. As Ray stated, Lucas stop leak products work as good as any, and IMO, better than most.

1) Track down the proper hydraulic (and gear box, if spec'd different) offering from Lucas.

2) Keep in mind, what it can do is limited by physical damage to seals (cracks, tears), and won't do a lot if your hoses and connectors are in pretty bad mechanical shape.

3) I wouldn't go too crazy upping the oil viscosity - unless you have a heated shop to store it in, or just park it for the Winter.

You may know all of the above already :thumbsup:, but I don't know if you've been wrenching on "stuff" for 1 month, or 10 years....

Rgds, D.

/ oil additive
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the Lucas a shot.