Off Road diesel over store pump diesel

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
I was wondering if it is advantageous to use off road diesel in my 2000 Kubota M6800 over the local mini mart diesel ? Other than cost for road tax ? It would negate the distance I have to drive to get it.I was going to dedicate 5 fuel jugs for it and keep it on hand if it would help in longevity.A mechanic said some Marvel mystery oil added to the mini mart diesel would help in keeping the injector pump running better.

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #3  
That's 7 yrs. old (dated 2007). I wonder if any of those tested are still the same???

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #4  
Buy the freshest fuel you can unless you run it out quickly ie from a truck stop that has decent traffic. I'd only get the offroad fuel if they sell a lot of it. Depending on the season some of the off road pumps around here get a bit stale. I like to use Stabil for Diesel and biocide if it sits for a while.

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #5  
My brother in law finally got his son in law(in Marines stationed in Japan) to pick up his Ford 3500 truck that he had in storage in his barn for over 3 years. It has the same diesel in the tank/oil in the engine that it had when he put it in storage. My brother in law would crank it up and back it out of the barn occasionally to let the batteries charge for a while. It always cranks right up. I really don't know how long diesel can be stored without degrading, but over 3 years for sure and no snake oil treatments in it to prevent any supposed "staleness, algae growth etc. that all the snake oils claim to prevent.

I use Stabil in gasohol and it does help keep the fuel usable for more than 6 months, but for diesel, just keep it clean and it lasts forever (practically). I buy mine in bulk from a local bulk distributor who delivers it to my onsite tank at the rate of about 200 gallons per visit. It may take me 2 years to use it up.

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #6  
I have never bought store diesel for my tractors but there have been many tales here on TBN of contaminated fuel from local service stations, so beware of local stores that don't sell a lot of fuel.

As for contaminants in my fuel, I have the same fuel filters in my tractors and Kubota RTV for3-4 years and everything is clean and clear so why change them. If you get clean fuel, run it thru a 10 micron filter when putting it in your tank, filter it again on the equipment fuel filters, no way will it have anything getting to the injection pump. I keep all my fuel bulk tanks indoors, out of the sun and temperature fluctuations as much a possible and it stays clear (well red) and water free.

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #7  
as for lubricity ... any 2 stroke oil can be added to diesel to improve it ... ( it is meant to burn and be almost ashless )

no such thing as adding "too much or too little" ....

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel
as for lubricity ... any 2 stroke oil can be added to diesel to improve it ... ( it is meant to burn and be almost ashless )

no such thing as adding "too much or too little" ....

So the when wally world clearances its marine 2 cycle at the end of the season is a good time to stock up on fuel additive .LOL

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #9  
kinda ... but it is not a true additive ( water remover/ deicer/ flow improver , etc ) just a cheap method to add lubricating qualities to the fuel ...

( pretty sure it adds a bit to up the cetane number if you use enough ) the outboard is better than the chainsaw stuff.

/ Off Road diesel over store pump diesel #10  
Another urban myth that fuels for modern tractors need additional lubricity. Perhaps for 20+ year olds, but any tractor made after low sulfur fuels came out (1988 and newer) don't need any additives. They are designed to run on low sulfur fuel. I had a 1984 model Yanmar that ran fine on todays fuel with no issues. I sold it to my brother in law a couple years ago and it is still running great. Never had any additives put in the fuel.
To me those are just "feel good" products that make the owners think they are doing something good for their engines kind of like the STP oil additive that folks used to use but finally studies showed that it gummed up the engine internals and did harm rather that good.