who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart...

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I run 15w40 C/S rated oil in all my old gasser antique tractors ( with limited exception). It's better oil imho than their original recs ..e tc.

Given that it's better almost no matter what. I've been using 'price point' ie.. walmart oil due to cost. Jus got a rural king in our area and just noticed they are spanking even walmart on oil price.

for instance. compairing the 1g supertech.. at walmart it is 10.37 at rural king it is 17.99 for 2g regular price. on sale for 15.99 right now. ( 22.62 for wm 2g size thus 5-7$ difference depending on sale).. i'm not expecting it to be rotella or delo quality at that price.. just wondering if it is someone like warren unilube? next oil change is coming up on the 'fleet' and if it's not something like filtered and recycled oil ;) then some 5g drums will save a fewtractor buyin dollars.

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #2  
I dont have the answer but Im thinkin Im going to my rural king to check prices, I

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #3  
Rural King has some good prices on many things, I have ordered from them before and been happy with the service.

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart...
i bought a crossbow from them as well. was on sale for 99$

it shoots ALMOST as good as a 299$ one from dicks sporting goods.

it cost me another 40$ in add on goodies ( repalce junk red dot scope and add a pull rope.. ).. thus 140$ vs 300$... and in 'hunting ranges' it is hitting the same bullseyes my tenpoint is.. and my wife's parker 9 even more $ )

the wife was going by rural king tonight.. said our horse feed was on sale 50 cents off a bag. so i told her to grab 10 more bags and a couple gallons oil.. gotta see what 16$ 2g 15w40 looks like. dang that's cheap...

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #5  
If the chain is new to the area, prices are probably artificially low to "train" customers that great value is to be had at RK. Can't help with oil source, but re-refined oil is a very good possibility.

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #6  
soundguy what model ten point do you have? Mine is the stealth x2 and after 12years its still like a lazer. I didnt have the same luck with my horton it started getting weak and would place bolts where ever it wanted.

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #7  
Where is that rural king? In Ocala? If so I might have to check it out.

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #8  
Not familiar with Rural king and not making a judgement on their oil. This seems a good place to share the recent findings of several States regarding sub-standard motor oil. These unscrupulous suppliers are looking at low cost \ high volume market, so I doubt diesel oils are in their mix, but still...

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart... #9  
I run 15w40 C/S rated oil in all my old gasser antique tractors ( with limited exception). It's better oil imho than their original recs ..e tc.

Given that it's better almost no matter what. I've been using 'price point' ie.. walmart oil due to cost. Jus got a rural king in our area and just noticed they are spanking even walmart on oil price.

for instance. compairing the 1g supertech.. at walmart it is 10.37 at rural king it is 17.99 for 2g regular price. on sale for 15.99 right now. ( 22.62 for wm 2g size thus 5-7$ difference depending on sale).. i'm not expecting it to be rotella or delo quality at that price.. just wondering if it is someone like warren unilube? next oil change is coming up on the 'fleet' and if it's not something like filtered and recycled oil ;) then some 5g drums will save a fewtractor buyin dollars.
I think you are of the right mindset. Just about any oil, even recycled oil is going to be better than what those 1940 and up tractors had to contend with when new.

I don't know that I would use it, but filtered Rotella or Delo or any other top brand might be just fine if some anti-oxidant additive is added back to it. On construction jobs we use flushing contractors with high tech filters in the lube oil flushing for turbines and other high dollar equipment and the flushing companies claim that when they filter the flushing oil it is cleaner than brand new oil. If a name brand company is using old motor oil and re-refining it, adding their proprietary additives to it, it is going to be just as good as refined virgin crude oil. The oil itself doesn't wear out, just gets dirty and any additives might need some refreshing. Used motor oil is going to be much cleaner than virgin crude and the refining process will work just like distilling water, all solids will be left behind.

/ who makes rural king's 15w40 oil? it's way cheaper than even walmart...
If the chain is new to the area, prices are probably artificially low to "train" customers that great value is to be had at RK. Can't help with oil source, but re-refined oil is a very good possibility.

i have seen at least 1 store selling re-refined oil....

They did an introductory week when they opened, and had amazingly low feed prices, and HUGE quantities on hand. pallets upon pallets of feed. Store was setup in an old super kmart and has massive space. it's 3-4 times larger than the TSC next door. In any case. during opening week, they sold feed for 5.99$ a bag that was selling for 10$ across the street. ( cattle and cheap all stock ).

I keep cattle and buy that nutrena feed. had just bought 1000# of it from my local feed co-op when they opened... I couldn't resist the 4$ savings and went and bought a ton more.

Since then their price has went up to 7.69 on that feed.. that tsc sells for 10.99, and my feed co-op sells for 9.89.... of course it went on sale yesterday for 7.19 ;)

They must be killing tsc next door.....