Removing Water From Diesel Tank

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
Just got a couple of 35 gal plastic drums to get off road diesel. They had soft drink syrup in them and now I have it all washed out, a little water is still in the barrels.

Any suggestions for the best way to remove the moisture? I got out all I could with a rag tied to a stick but a little still is in there.
I would guess that condensation will also be a constant issue even though they will be stored under a open shed.

:confused3:

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #2  
Get yourself a good water separating filter for the pump and don't worry.

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #4  
One should never use fuel (gas or diesel) from a bulk storage tank without pushing it thru a filter media to remove any foreign bodies and water.
NOTE: Not all filters remove water and debris so check the filter media to make sure it absorbs water. Some filter housing will also have a clear sediment bowl so you can actually see if it is trapping any water and dirt. Some of the Golden Rod filter are designed that way with a petcock valve on the bottom so you can drain off any trappings.

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #5  
leaf blower, or shop vac that can blow air, and then some sort of hose or pipe. and some duck tape. put hose down in barrel, and turn on the air, and let the air escape around the pipe / hole in drum. be carefull not to over heat leaf blower / shop vac. it should help dry it out to some extent.

but as others have noted a filter /s is needed once you actually get fuel in it.

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #6  
Great idea of the leaf blower! I used a small fan and let it run for 24 hours.

I agree about the Goldenrod water/filters although I've had mine on for about 5 years and have never changed it (they are supposed to plug up when they need to be changed.) I've never seen a drop of water in the sediment bowls on my equipment either so I really don't think the plastic containers are a problem that way. I would be more leery of metal tanks.

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank
Do the Goldenrods also filter the fuel as well as trap moisture?

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #8  
Do the Goldenrods also filter the fuel as well as trap moisture?

There are different models. Some only filter "dirt", other models filter water and "dirt". Here is information on the "water block" model:
"WATER-BLOCK spin-on canister absorbs water from gasoline and diesel fuel, and filters microscopic particles (10 microns) of rust, sand, dirt, scale and lint. Restricts fuel flow as water is absorbed, signaling the need for a canister change. "

Note, the water block ability is disabled with gasoline containing ethanol.

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #9  
I agree with the filters, but I would dump a gallon or so of diesel in it and shake it all around. Then dump it a 5 gallon bucket and use it for fire starter.
That should take care of any water in it.

/ Removing Water From Diesel Tank #10  
small clear plastic tubing ... one turkey baster ... connect together , put hose in barrel , squeeze baster , draw up water ... remove hose and dump... repeat ....