LSD or ULSD

/ LSD or ULSD #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I still have a choice where I live to either purchase off road diesel which is ulsd or heating oil which is lsd. What am I better off purchasing for my Kioti tractor. It is tier 3 and no where does it state ulsd. It only says diesel. No2 above 14f and no1 below 14f. Ulsd is about 3 cents more a gallon. What do you think?

/ LSD or ULSD #2  
Don't know where you are finding LSD in the US now unless it's old stock.

United States

As of September 2007, most on-highway diesel fuel sold at retail locations in the United States is ULSD.[10]

Ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel was proposed by EPA as a new standard for the sulfur content in on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States since October 15, 2006, except for rural Alaska who transferred in 2010. California has required it since September 1, 2006. This new regulation applies to all diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and distillate fuels blended with diesel for on-road use, such as kerosene, however, it does not yet apply to railroad locomotives, marine, or off road uses. Since December 1, 2010, all highway diesel fuel have been ULSD. Non-road diesel engine fuel was required to move to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and further to ULSD in 2010. Railroad locomotive and marine diesel fuel also moved to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and will change to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel produced and imported will be ULSD.

Last edited:
   / LSD or ULSD
I think I stated it wrong. I meant to say No2 heating oil is LSD.NH has not switched over to ULSD for heating oil. I can still get deliveries of No2 LSD and use it in my tractor. Is it better?

/ LSD or ULSD #5  
I think I stated it wrong. I meant to say No2 heating oil is LSD.NH has not switched over to ULSD for heating oil. I can still get deliveries of No2 LSD and use it in my tractor. Is it better?

Your state has not yet changed over to ULSD for heating oil but eventually will. ULSD is all we can get here in NY.
If your tractor is a tier 3 or older either LSD or ULSD will work fine. If your tractor is a tier 4 tractor (new in past couple of years) it requires ULSD.

/ LSD or ULSD #7  
Not sure what advantage using more sulfur in diesel would be. Even the engine manufacturers have extended oil drain requirements now that ULSD is pretty much standard. Sulfur just creates sulfuric acid and sulfur dioxide in the engine. Now, for it's lubricating qualities, which is questionable, most every engine made in this century has components that are designed around ULSD. And a lot of places are now putting biodiesel in the mix in some percentage. A 2% biodiesel blend alone will raise the lubricity to pre ULSD levels. Even more and the lubricity will exceed LSD levels. But if it makes you feel good, then go ahead and get the LSD fuel. Whatever you do, base it on sound reasoning and not some wive's tales about ULSD. Hint, hint.... it wasn't the sulfur that was the lubricity agent. The process used to remove sulfur from diesel also removed many of the lubricity agents from diesel. Federal fuel standards mandate that some lubricity be added back in to meet minimum standards.

/ LSD or ULSD #8  
use either ... and for peace of mind , add some 2 stroke oil (any kind) ... couple of ounces ... any is better than none ....

/ LSD or ULSD