Small tank for farm diesel installation

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #1  

nwind

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M9960, L3800HST, RTV 900
Hi guys,

This forum proved to be the most helpful for any related questions so far :)

I bought yesterday a small (1360L or ~ 360Gal) diesel fuel tank for my farm. Surprisingly there is a very little information about how to properly install it and what to do or what not.
There are an obvious variations on local regulations for this and Canada perhaps is slightly different than US but there is always common sense and good tips :)
It's going to be exposed to the real winter and I'm planing to use a hand lever pump (can't convince myself for $500 for electrical).

Pictures are attached and I would appreciate your advises.

Thanks,
Nikolai

Attachments

• IMG_6563.JPG
    IMG_6563.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_6559.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_6562.JPG
    IMG_6562.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_6564.jpg
    IMG_6564.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 158
   / Small tank for farm diesel installation #2  
So does the fuel flow by gravity, or just by the hand pump? If the fuel is pumped out and the tank can be mounted fairly low to the ground, I would make a pair of concrete cradles for the tank to rest on.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #3  
Here's an example of what I mean, just on a larger scale.

Ag Country Propane - Photo Gallery

Looks like they put some sort of material on top of the cradles so the tank wasn't directly on the concrete.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #4  
Are you going to fill it with diesel or #2 heating oil?

In NY, my dealer will not fill a tank he suspects will be used for on or off road equipment. And the state will come down on him if he does, and gets caught. He told me the only thing I could do is pump from my HHO tank directly to the equipment, or another tank.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #5  
The large (4") plastic safety plug on top of my 550 gal tank leaked and let over 20 gallons of rainwater in over a 10 year period. They didn't even put thread sealer on it at the factory. Even after I gooped the threads up with permatex sealer it leaked because the threads weren't round. If you can't put a roof over the tank I would lay something waterproof on top like rubber car floor mats over the openings.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #6  
Are you going to fill it with diesel or #2 heating oil?

In NY, my dealer will not fill a tank he suspects will be used for on or off road equipment. And the state will come down on him if he does, and gets caught. He told me the only thing I could do is pump from my HHO tank directly to the equipment, or another tank.

What you just wrote makes no sence.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #8  
If you had gone to school, it would.

Yeah, I guess I did spell that wrong.

It reads, to me, like the last sentence contradicts the first two and I just don't understand wtf you are saying. That's all.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #9  
Yeah, I guess I did spell that wrong.

It reads, to me, like the last sentence contradicts the first two and I just don't understand wtf you are saying. That's all.

I don't give a hoot about anyone's spelling ... It's not a measure of intelligence or someone's values.

I wanted a separate tank for the tractor, on the side of the garage, to fill with home heating oil for use in the tractor, which never sees on road use. When the driver was filling my home tank, I asked him. He said he couldn't fill a separate tank if he suspected it was for use in the tractor. But, I could transfer the HHO from my home tank to an auxiliary tank myself. Still not legal, but I guess that would keep him out of trouble with the NYS gestapo if anyone was to find out ... as if anyone cares.

/ Small tank for farm diesel installation #10  
That's a good size tank. +1 on the concrete cradle. We poured a footing and laid block. Set the tank skids on the block between two 4x4's. Not sure if your tank has a drain cock or where it is, but if it's on the back side, set your tank with a slight tilt so that water forms at the back drain cock. Set your pickup tube 2-3" from the bottom. We had a hand pump on the old tank. Would recommend electrical if you're going to be using it often enough. You'll tank yourself later...sorry, couldn't resist :laughing: Here's some more pictures if you're bored. https://www.flickr.com/photos/121757047@N03/sets/72157645592226671/