Really, really basic questions about maintenance

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #11  
some of the shafts from pto to implement can be a bit tough to find the grease fitting, but it can be done. also about checking every fluid on the tractor each and everytime in my estmation is not necessay FOR THE AVERAGE GUY, my tractor is stored in the garage, and i am always checking the floor for leaks. i usually chek the engine oil every 2nd ot third time i use it. nwo if it is used comercially or not stored where leaks woud be apparent then u might want to check all fluids more often.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #12  
Richard is right on about the battery powered greasers.

They are a little pricey for a good one like a Lincoln, but worth it.

I've used them before, but I have a bulk greaser that takes a 120 pound open head drum and has 50 feet of grease hose. Grease is much cheaper in bulk and most hand guns (the battery powered gun included) can be loaded from a bulk greaser.

If I didn't have the bulk grease setup, I'd have a battery powered gun. The bulk unit is much more costly than any hand gun ever hoped to be.

One nice thing about a bulk setup is that the follower plate has a heavy spring on it, much heavier than a hand greaser. If it's cold out (and it gets cold in Michigan), the grease will not feed in the hand gun because the follower plate in a hand gun doesn't have the tension to push it up the barrel. Bulk greasers don't have that problem as the grease goes down, not up like a hand greaser.

I might add that I use different types and grades of grease for different applications . The not often used greases like the low temperature lithium disulfide grease is kept in a hand gun. The general purpose synthetic based grease is the one in the bulk unit.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #13  
City Guy Once you have checked everything.you only have too check oil /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Read book 8-10 times.You have too use it before you grease,8-10 hours. Big Larry-301o /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #14  
You may need a skinny-ended grease extension for some U joints. Also, a flexible, generally 90 degree grease gun head is more useful than a straight one unless you have a lot of fitting where you have to reach a lot with the straight one, then buy the flex or 90 degree extension.

You need to get a grease gun with a release on the tension spring that keeps pressure on the grease inside it, as the seal on the end of the spring will often leak grease past it if the spring leaves it in contact with the grease all the time. Maybe those battery powered ones folks recommended do this, too.

Just watch for leaks of transmission or hydraulic fluid. If no leaks, best not to ever check them because you can get dirt into the check holes during the checking. Similar for checking coolant. Don't if no leaks or don't need to if it has an expansion tank that you can see through.

I only check engine oil about once/week or after a heavy, long usage.

Check tractor for loose stuff, out of place, etc. every time you use it. Make sure that dip stick is turned so the handle is in towards the engine. I had brush remove the dipstick once and learned this trick.

Be sure you know your wire routing in case brush hits it and moves or removes it, so you'll know where to put it all back.

Make sure your radiator screens are cleaned regularly. Also, if you have a foam element over your air cleaner, remove it and wash out with soapy water regularly.

Ralph

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #15  
City Boy,

If the manual is thin you may wish to get the shop manual for the tractor. Pricey but maybe worth it if you do all the work yourself.

I put togheter a check list in excel for routine tasks, oil changes, etc....
Keep it as a log with dates and it will make your tractor easier to sell one day not to mention help you keep up with what needs to be done and when.

Fred