Really, really basic questions about maintenance

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #1  

City_Boy

I just bought a Mahindra 2810 HST. What a great machine. The dealer, however, was less helpful than I had hoped once my name was on the dotted line. And the owner's manual is also less helpful than I had expected.

Can anyone give me some real step-by-step directions on how to grease the tractor? How do I access the drive shaft on the rotary cutter to apply lubrication? I feel like such a moron for not knowing this stuff. My dealer is closed until 2004, so my tractor is parked until I do the required maintenance on it. I've used it about five hours (bush hogging, moving some dirt). Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas to you all.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance
Another question: do you guys really do every recommended check for fluid and lubrication every time you start your tractor? I absolutely intend to take care of this thing right, but it seems like it will take an hour of prep time every time I use it. Am I missing something?

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #3  
There are certain things that need to be done at certian times and it is best to follow the guidelines set up in the manual. For the believe it or not column you can over grease. I've never heard of a dealer closing for xmas week!!! must be something new as my wifes complaining were open till three on xmas eve!

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #4  
City boy
I do not check all fluids every time I use my tractor
BUT I do check the OIL EVERY day I use it and again if I let it sit for any time over 2 hours. I do the same and more on any small engine I have.
One time I had a piece of equipment leak oil in between tasks and the Warning light was faulty. When a gas engine sounds like a diesel, IT's TOO LATE.
I do not do this to my road vehicles except the first time I get gas after an oil change.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #5  
If this tractor is new, I would not be afraid to use it a little, certainly don't have to leave it sit. Check the oil,check for any leaks,then use it. The lubrication process is fairly straight forward,there should be an access hole-or two on the PTO shaft,probably on the plastic shield that will allow you to grease it.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #6  
On this site, any answers you garner will absolutely not be simple /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #7  
I would at least make sure you check the unit after you buy it... I heard where dealers really don't do as good of a job making sure things are up to level.. as your's may have done seeing's he's lost interest in you already. Implements that require fluilds also need to be checked to see if the dealer loaded them up with fluid before selling them.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #8  
As many tractors as we have and as many hours as we go all we check each time are the fuel, engine oil, and hydraulic oil. We have a chart in the shop and each machine is on it with the recommded levels of maint. Each tractor is greased when needed and oil changed as recommded. We change all hydraulic and four wheel drive oil each late spring whether it is time or not. The reason being is that there are numerous studies that show alot of condensation over the year in tractors. As far as greasing everything is greased following mfg. rec. Get yourself one of the battery powered ones. They make greasing fast and easy. Even my 8 yo can operate it.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #9  
Check everything you can think of!! When I accumulated enough hours on my John Deere to do the first oil change, I found that the oil drain plug was so loose that I could unscrew it with my fingers!
I was lucky it didn't vibrate loose and fall out.

/ Really, really basic questions about maintenance #10  
I found that trying to grease the u-joint on the driveshaft was near impossible through the tiny holes provided in the safety cover. Take a few minutes and figure out how to slide the protective shield back so you can get a good look at, and properly grease the u-joints