Oil leaks

/ Oil leaks #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
Not the tractor... eh well it leaks but there support to; but wife's 2008 Chevy impala. We loose at least as much as a full fill of oil (5 quarts) in between changes. It's not burning it, it's leaking. I think it's loosing at the oil pan gasket. It's got ~140,000 miles, and has lost oil as long as we've had it (since 125k). It looks like I would need to pull the motor to get the oil pan off; and I'm not equipped or skilled enough for that. It calls for 5w30, and I'm using 10w40, hoping thicker might slow the leak. If it has, it's not by that much; I'd say I'm still loosing a quart per 1000 miles. So...

Anyone recommend a cheap way to tell for sure where the leak starts; glow/light/etc that works well

Anyone know of any "leak stop" for oil that actually works

How thick would you feel OK using in a modern 3.5L cylinder deactivating engine; 10w40; 15w40? 20w50 is thicker then I feel confident in... but I don't know

/ Oil leaks #2  
Use the proper weight oil...... Repair or have the leak repaired...If it's leaking that bad,,, you should be oil every under the car

/ Oil leaks #3  
i'd have the leak identified @ a shop before investing a whole lot. some say thoroughly clean from bottom up then look for source of leak. i can't imagine having to pull engine for oil pan gasket replacement. could it be leaking from valve cover gasket? never hurts to get 2nd opinion before dropping the bucks. does it have engine blow by forcing oil out? hey, check out pcv valve as well.......

/ Oil leaks
i'd have the leak identified @ a shop before investing a whole lot. some say thoroughly clean from bottom up then look for source of leak. i can't imagine having to pull engine for oil pan gasket replacement. could it be leaking from valve cover gasket? never hurts to get 2nd opinion before dropping the bucks. does it have engine blow by forcing oil out? hey, check out pcv valve as well.......

No blow by. It's coming somewhere from the bottom center of the engine. I'm trying to hunt down a download able repair manual now. It's a real pain work on this car, because everything is crammed into such a small area.

/ Oil leaks
Use the proper weight oil...... Repair or have the leak repaired...If it's leaking that bad,,, you should be oil every under the car

It seems to only leak when running. And we have all sand/grass driveway, so it doesn't puddle; but when you put cardboard under it and watch it idle for a few minutes it does. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from; or if it's just getting down to where you can see it after dripping from higher.

/ Oil leaks #6  
My dad used to run old Oldsmobile's back in the 60's...
When I was a little boy he owned a 59, 63, and 66...
Everyone of those buggers leaked a small amount of oil between servicing...
Back main seals that would require taking the engine and transmission apart but was never done...
Those old cars had over 100K and pop changed the oil every 2K miles back then...
Always could tell where the car was parked because it always left it's mark...

I don't know where your leak is but if the car is good the repair is gonna be less than a new car payment...
Try to find you a good local independent mechanic...
Those guys are worth their weight in gold for repairing older cars...
The leak could be at the valve covers, oil pan, rear main, ETC...
A good mechanic can diagnose the problem and give you an estimate...

/ Oil leaks #7  
for starters, trans x or blue devil are pretty good leak stop products - and yes...trans x can also be used on engines, not only on transmissions :)

/ Oil leaks #8  
It seems to only leak when running. And we have all sand/grass driveway, so it doesn't puddle; but when you put cardboard under it and watch it idle for a few minutes it does. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from; or if it's just getting down to where you can see it after dripping from higher.
again, check to see that the pcv valve is breathing properly & not forcing oil somewhere out the seals...an easy check

/ Oil leaks #9  
Not the tractor... eh well it leaks but there support to; but wife's 2008 Chevy impala. We loose at least as much as a full fill of oil (5 quarts) in between changes. It's not burning it, it's leaking<snip>
If it's leaking that much why change it?

/ Oil leaks
If it's leaking that much why change it?

I keep adding, and I like to keep the filter changed. I did some research, and it appears the motor has to be unbolted, and partially jacked up, but not taken completely out. A ton of other stuff would need to taken off as well to get at it; it's 50# stuffed in a 25# sack.

I'll check the PCV valve this afternoon.