Dodged a bullet

/ Dodged a bullet #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
I have been purchasing a lot of diesel for the tractor lately,with bush-hogging/land clearing in full spring.
I use five gallon cans and purchase 15-20 gallons at a time.What I just read my local station had their "diesel" tank refilled with "gasoline" and messed a number of vehicles.They also failed to notify anyone.
I track all my gas/diesel purchases for my business so I know when I purchase fuel; fortunately I purchased just before and after they had the problem.
I don't know if I would have noticed when filling the cans or not;diesel does foam a lot and is noticeable when doing cans but anyone filling a vehicle with a regular fuel tank would not have caught this.

/ Dodged a bullet #2  
Yeah that would be bad. I only buy my diesel from a local truck stop. They sell way more diesel then gas and it had to be clean and I've never had any problems with their fuel.

/ Dodged a bullet #3  
Yikes - you were lucky.
I fill four 5 gallon jugs when I make a diesel run.
Standard procedure is to perform a "sniff test" when I fill the yellow jugs.

/ Dodged a bullet #4  
This happened at my uncles station a few years ago. Shell had pay for quite a few destroyed engines.

This also happened at a airport I frequent in Raleigh. They put jet fuel in the 100LL tank.

Chris

/ Dodged a bullet #5  
Wow, Have been doing the 3 cans of fuel for a while and never thought to make sure what I was putting in them. :confused3: Although I have noticed the foaming of the diesel every time. :rolleyes: Thanks for the heads up as from now on I will be checking for odor and foaming. :thumbsup:

/ Dodged a bullet
I just tried to contact them to give them my information just in case I have a problem down the road.
This place sells a lot of diesel, contractors and the local utility co.They are not really set up for tractor trailer rigs but they fill a lot of dump trucks there.

/ Dodged a bullet #7  
If you burn off road fuel it will have the dye in it in my area at least so you know it's not gas .

/ Dodged a bullet #8  
Up here in Ontario the diesel pump handles are a bright yellow. I have bought a few yellow plastic "gas" cans and only fill them with diesel. If it's red, it's gas; if it's ye;;ow it's diesel.

/ Dodged a bullet
Up here in Ontario the diesel pump handles are a bright yellow. I have bought a few yellow plastic "gas" cans and only fill them with diesel. If it's red, it's gas; if it's ye;;ow it's diesel.

Same here until they fill the station's "diesel" tank with "gasoline".I buy my fuel at the pump and pay the road tax so no dye in the fuel.I burn maybe 100 gallons a year and not worth the hassle to have a bulk tank at home.
This station is at the entrance to a quarry and a lot of dump trucks fill up here;it could get real expensive for the station's owner before it's over.

/ Dodged a bullet
I finally got to talk to the station manager:if I do have any problems I am to bring them the bill so that's good.I am sure I am alright with the fuel I have.
They did do damage to the tune of $20,000 to a Mercedes car,one Kubota tractor and an over the road truck belonging to the company that delivered the fuel in the first place.The new driver had put 1,000 gal of regular in the diesel tank.