Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums.

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have a milk white 55 gallon plastic drum I use to store my off road. We have humidity and condensation issues in the PNW so I try to keep the tank sealed. I have an electric transfer pump screwed into one of the bungs. When I pump out, usually 10 gallons or so, the tank compresses and the motor strains.

I don't want to keep screwing ans unscrewing the other bung cap everytimr I fill primarily because cap is such a pita to do so. I use a channel lock to fit into the key on the top and when the wife fills there is no end to the drama.

Any suggestions? Any venting ideas or easy way to unscrew the cap?

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #2  
We used those plastic drums for water while at hunting camp and used a homemade bung wrench out of wood, Worked great.

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #3  
I had the same issue so I added a barrel spout to the smaller bung and put a pin in it when I'm using the pump allowing the barrel to vent. After the refuelling is complete I pull the pin and there venting is ended. Doing it this way keeps the barrel air tight and if by some chance the barrel tipped over nothing would leak out.

9f849ef1b4a09d1b9d61eecf0fd9efa7_zps15a14c06.jpg

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #4  
I have the same clear white drum & a manual pump with the same issue.

I looked on amazon for a filter or breather... 2" NTP bung hole if I remember. Cheapest I could find was over $40 I think... Double what I paid for the dam drum. Thinking of just getting a new bung, drilling a small hole in & gluing or otherwise attaching a cheap fuel filter. That won't minimize air transfer like the 1 or 2 psi valve would or do much for humidity though.

I'm in Colorado where 40% humidity is the best you can get in the bathroom while taking a shower & not using the fan. Being from Oregon originally I understand the humidity issue though.

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #5  
Also a bung wrench is $5-10 on amazon & designed just for manipulating the bungs.

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #7  
Think I'd just make a suitable hole in the small plug and install a 1/4" nippled check valve. The check valve would be installed to allow air into the barrel but not out. Check valves typically have a low "cracking pressure" and they don't open until that low pressure is exceeded. When not being used, the barrel will basically remain sealed. If it cooled significantly, it would suck in a little air through the valve, once. Then as it warmed, assuming no leaks, it would slightly pressurize, but not take on any more moisture.

bumper

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #8  
I'm too cheap. I'd just put a hole in the other bung and use some spare PVC pipe fitted to an old faucet.

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #9  
I guess I'm cheap too. I just loosen the small bung when fueling. Old open wrench, piece of wood or my pocket knife works. I have a rotary hand pump with a four micron filter on the big bung. I did replace the foamy rubber gasket on the small bung with a o ring to seal better when not fueling. It is quite humid here but I have not had any issues with water in fuel. What little moisture does collect inside the drums is caught by the filters. Use of one of the Power Service additives may help though. :confused3: edit to add: Large furniture dolly($10 Harbor Freight on sale) under the drums help storing the drums out of the way, easy to roll out to fuel.

/ Need help with storing diesel in 55gal drums. #10  
I use a ball valve. Open valve when pumping, close when not.