rear diff oil

/ rear diff oil #1  

toad430

Tractor
case 444 and 646
I have a case 646 and 444 and I was wondering what oil goes in the rear diff. The oil in my 646 is tan and foamy. I think it got water in it so I am going to drain, rinse and refill. I would appreciate the oil weight and any preferred brands.

/ rear diff oil #3  
If it's just a rear diff. 80w-90 is pretty much the standard used with all ring and pinion gear sets in differentials. A lot of the newer manufacturers will recommend something that they put there label on and drastically over charge for but in most cases especially with the your case/ingersoll a standard GL-5 80w-90 should do the the trick.

Just out of curiosity how you planning on rinsing out the differential? Fill it up, run a bit, drain and replace with new fluid?? All I have ever done is just drain and refill with new fluid and have never had an issue.

/ rear diff oil #4  
If the diff is filled with sludge, you can fill the axle with kerosene, run it for a few minutes, then drain and refill with the gear oil. I would probably repeat the second part, if you needed kerosene in the first place.

/ rear diff oil #6  
"The oil in my 646 is tan and foamy" toad 430

as a general question along the same lines, do all GL5 80/90 lubricants these days contain an anti foam agent? if a gearbox say one on a brush hog that builds up foamy gear lubricant even if changed recently, well, does it still provide adequate lubricity? such is the case in my twin spindle b/h. would stepping up to 85/140 decrease foaming? thx in advance, & sorta related to the OP's question