Dexcool

/ Dexcool #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Ok I know this is a little off topic, but there are alot of people here with good opinions and knowledge, so I want to ask a question. Do any of you have a post 1996 GM vehicle with Dexcool antifreeze in your coolant system? Dexcool is the pink colored antifreeze. If so, have you been having almost constant cooling system problems? Just curious. Thanks!!
-Brad

/ Dexcool #2  
I put Dexcool or equivalents in everything I own, and so far no problems at all as long as the instructions are followed. I do use distilled water in everything, though, so that may be a factor. From what I've experienced, the Dexcool stuff is great. Change it once every five years, and no corrosion problems at all.

One thing you've got to make sure of is that you flush any and all old antifreeze out of the system before switching to Dexcool. If there's any of the old green stuff in there, it will react with the Dexcool and cause some bad things to happen. I made the mistake once of doing a drain-and-refill from green to pink without a proper flush, and my hoses started falling apart within a few months and my water pump bearings went out within a year. Might have been coincidence, but a few of the people I have talked to seem to have experienced similar problems.

If you drain all of the old stuff out, then fill with plain distilled water and run the engine to max operating temperature, drain the distilled water out, and then fill with the Dexcool/distilled water mixture, you probably won't run into problems.

/ Dexcool #3  
IMO, your post is not off topic. I have wondered myself if anyone has used the extended life antifreeze in their tractor or if any brands come with it from the factory.

I do know that you are not supposed to mix the two types of coolant, and our only vehicle that uses the pink stuff is a 2000 GMC, and we have had no problems. However, with only 13000 miles it does not get much use.

Do any TBN members fill their tractors with Dexcool?

/ Dexcool #4  
<font color="blue">If so, have you been having almost constant cooling system problems? </font>
I just did a search on Google for Dexcool and got over 2,000 hits, with the first one being a class action lawsuit about it causing cooling system damage, not lasting the advertised 5 year/150,000 mile, etc. A search of the ChevronTexaco website indicates that Dexcool

...meets both ASTM D 3306 for automotive service and ASTM D 4985 for heavy-duty diesel service.

Use it in my tractor? No thanks, I will stick with Fleetguard. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Dexcool #5  
Dexcool when used properly is fine. When dex cool first came out they had tons of trouble with it. Dealers (around here) were converting OEM car back to green coolant.

From my experience the dexcool work better in coolant systems with a degas bottle (pressurized "overflow" tank). The biggest thing to remember with decool is to mix at proper ratio. To strong (even just a little and it will eat away at aluminum. Personally I don't recommend converting a "green" coolant system to a dexcool.

Just my $.02

/ Dexcool #6  
I believe my 2001 Suburban has it. I know it is the red stuff. Never thought much about it being no good. Have never had any troubles. I will probably get it changed out the next time it goes in for oil change.

murph

/ Dexcool
I asked because I have 2 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 trucks. One is a 2002 Blazer, and one is a 2003 Pickup. Both of them have had cooling system problems, both have had the coolant intake manifolds replaced on them already, and a water pump. Both trucks have under 25,000 miles. Just seems strange. But im not jumping to conclusions. Im going to continue researching. Thanks!

/ Dexcool #8  
only know issues are on powerstrokes some cummins engines i think or cat/detroit and extended coolants no know issues on gm gas engines 2 my knowledge.

/ Dexcool #9  
Some where or some one told me that if you have the green antifreeze in your system you should not switch. Also some one told me that if you have Dexcool in your system you need to make sure not to let or get air in the system or it will cause problems(eats metal and hoses). Also the reason that it don't work in diesels is that due to the compression of diesels (vibrations or harmonics) of diesels lets the Dexcool form air bubbles then you have the same problem as above. This is just some of the here say that I have herd. You make the call. Maybe a diesel mechanic may be able to help out here.

LOL
Doug

/ Dexcool #10  
I had it in my '97 Chevy pickup. Traded it in '99 for a Silverado w/ it. No problems with either one. I still have the '99 and it has about 75k on it. No a sign of a problem other then I have to add some to it once and awhile. This summer on I converted our Accord over to it. It is a '97 w/ 132k on it. It hadn't had anything done to it since '99 when it hit a tree and had to have the radiator fixed. I decided it it was time to change hoses & thermostat (they were still original). It had some crud in the radiator when I first drained it. I used some Prestone Super Flush in. Drained that out, took the hoses & thermostat off. Used the garden hose to push water through the block of the car & the radiator until both ran clean. Put everything back together and refilled with the Havoline Dexcool. I've put 25k on it since then and no signs of problems.

Took keep this tractor related. I was putting the car back together when they dealership brought my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif For some strange reason I had to stop working on the car for a couple of hours.