No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #1  

george washington

Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I have a 100 gallon gravity flow fuel storage tank and the gas just will not flow out of it - actually it will flow if i place the gun/nozzle on the ground so that all of the fuel is able to travel downward - I checked the filter and it is a gravity filter and there are no obstructions anywhere in the line - so I think it is one of two things.

1. There isn't enough fuel in the tank to create the pressure needed to push the fuel out. There is currently about 12 gallons in a 100 gallon tank. (also, the tank is on a stand about 5 ft high - i did this so that there would be pressure)

or....

2. The hose is too big - the opening at the bottom of the tank where the fuel comes out is 3/4 while the hose is 1 inch - also the fittings that go into and come out of the filter are 3/4 - would this make a difference?

any help you guys can give would be great - thanks!

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #3  
Hose size makes no difference. You'll get the flow of a 3/4 fitting. As said before, either vent is plugged or the filter has more restriction than a couple of feet of head can over come

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #4  
It won't flow when the nozzle is how high? You say it will flow when the nozzle is on the ground (5' of head) but not when it's higher (what 1 foot of head?) A foot of head is only about a half PSI, you are not going to get much flow with a half PSI through a filter.

Most of the gravity tanks I see are higher than what you have. Don't expect miracles out of a low tank.

Have you tried changing the filter? That may help but I really think getting the tank up higher and filling it will make a major difference.

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #5  
Are you trying to empty the tank? Is it gas or diesel?

If you have access to a compressor try pressurizing the tank via the vent. A blow tool and a damp rag will do the trick to make a good enough seal.

You will need a helper to pump the fuel as you add air.

Chris

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #6  
Are you trying to empty the tank? Is it gas or diesel?

If you have access to a compressor try pressurizing the tank via the vent. A blow tool and a damp rag will do the trick to make a good enough seal.

You will need a helper to pump the fuel as you add air.

Chris
Just be really careful and not over-pressurize the tank. A couple of PSI is all they will stand without deforming

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #7  
Just be really careful and not over-pressurize the tank. A couple of PSI is all they will stand without deforming

Yes they will. Just 15 psi will do it. My guess is he has crap in the tank and it's clogging the outlet to the filter.

Chris

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #8  
Blow some air backwards thru the hose. If it is crap that's clogging this would clear it and confirm presence.
Also removing the filter element would confirm a clogged element.
A water soaked element also will not allow fuel to pass.

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #9  
Blow some air backwards thru the hose. If it is crap that's clogging this would clear it and confirm presence.
Also removing the filter element would confirm a clogged element.
A water soaked element also will not allow fuel to pass.

X 2! :thumbsup:

Advocating pressurizing a tank that wasn't designed to be pressurized is not a particularly good idea especially if one has no idea of the tank's construction or condition.

/ No Fuel Flowing from Storage Tank #10  
Gee, if you take the fill cap off the tank and blow air back up through the hose, it won't hurt a thing....the air will escape from the fill port.... duh.