Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #1  

sweep

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 TC45A
I have a 2006 New Holland farm tractor and changed the antifreeze today. Owners manual says only to use distilled water/antifreeze mix. I always use distilled water/antifreeze mix but for some reason today I forgot and used regular tap water even though I had 2 gallons of distilled water on the workbench. Tractor has a aluminum radiator.

Should I flush it out and replace? I put about 50-55 hours per year on the tractor and replace the antifreeze every 2-2.5 years.NH says every year but I don't put much hours on it.

I plan on keeping this tractor forever and don't want corrosion problems or blocking of rad passages. Some say all it takes is a couple of years of tap to coat a layer of lime on the inside of the radiator but not sure if that is scaremonegery or not

BTW our water is very limey and full of chemicals...more than other locals.

Or should I just run it and change it out next year.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #2  
I would just run it and change it out next year. Peer down into the radiator, next year, and see what it looks like. If there is scale build up then get the appropriate radiator flush and flush it. I use tap water and have never had problems in 32 years. Our water here is harder than rocks. I've used radiator flush once and it didn't seem to make any visible difference inside the radiator. I used tap water in my previous tractor for the 28 years I had it and there was no blockage, build up - etc. There was a very thin layer of scale(calcium carbonate) but nothing to worry about.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #3  
I have been using tap water with prestone antifreeze for the past 7 years. I was flushing every 2 years and each time the old stuff came out clean looking. never rusty or such. I have never had any overheat issues either. Been doing it with 3 different Kubota engines. Now every tap water is different, so that might be a variable, but I believe it is such a small part of water and today's coolants have very good corrosion and rust inhibitors so in my opinion you will be ok to go 2 years, just do a flush at that time and take note of the condition the old coolant comes out. I have since pushed my coolant flushes to 4 years.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #4  
don't even worry about it ... if you can drink it , it's OK for the tractor ....

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled
don't even worry about it ... if you can drink it , it's OK for the tractor ....

Our water is nasty tasting..we use a Pur filter on the sink faucet lol

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #6  
I found some HD Zerex antifreeze that has a 5 year replacement interval. When its time is up I'll do a flush and see what comes out. Otherwise, like Ray, I've never experienced any problems relating to the coolant system. I don't play games with the coolant either - I mix at a 50/50 ratio so its good down to around -30F to -35F.

Yes, sweep, my "summer water" is high in sulphur - could grow hair on a bowling ball.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #7  
I use distilled in both the rad and battery on the Kioti. The Jeep gets well water. For myself I use distilled in Scotland.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #8  
For me - its from Lynchburg, Tenn.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #9  
I have never had a problem using hard well water, and there were a lot of radiators.

/ Antifreeze Question Tap water vs distilled #10  
I always used tap water before I knew better, and never had problems. I have been told that if you run it through a filter (fridge filter, brita, pur, etc) that helps a lot.