Winter Blend Diesel Availability?

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #1  

Trails End

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335
I just stopped in at my local gas station to find out when Winder Blend Diesel would be available.
She said that it's usually available by the end of October, but there's none available anywhere around
here, even at the terminals, and that's very unusual at this late date. BTW, current diesel price around
here is around $3.30/gallon.

Anyone else experiencing this yet?

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #2  
Just got my winter supply 2 weeks ago up here in northern Alberta. I would be using a winter conditioner if I were you. I have a sample of the B20 we get in the summer sitting out in the cold and it still hasn't gelled (it has a conditioner in it). We've had below freezing and as low as 25c below for a month here already.

Around here, the fuel suppliers make a winter blend in 2 stages: one good to minus 30C and the full winter good to minus 50C (or something like that). I had to wait for the "full winter" stuff. I just used some conditioner in the summer fuel until then. I also drained my farm tank into barrels (conditioned) so that I would be running the full winter.

Anyway, short story is buy some winter conditioner to mix with your fuel until the good stuff comes in.

BTW, I just paid $1.19.9/litre for dyed diesel. Multiply that by 3.78 to get $4.53 for an American gallon. That's the farmer's (offroad) price here. Poor at best.

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability?
Anyway, short story is buy some winter conditioner to mix with your fuel until the good stuff comes in.

I use Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat in my fuel year round, so I should be OK with the current blend until the winter
blend is available.
BTW, I spent three weeks up in Alberta and BC back in 1971 backpacking. Traveled from NH to Montreal by bus, then
Canadian National Railway from Montreal to Jasper, Alberta. Beautiful country up there.

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #4  
I just stopped in at my local gas station to find out when Winder Blend Diesel would be available.
She said that it's usually available by the end of October, but there's none available anywhere around
here, even at the terminals, and that's very unusual at this late date. BTW, current diesel price around
here is around $3.30/gallon.

Anyone else experiencing this yet?

I would love diesel at that price. It's not dipped below $3.89 here for a year or more.

Chris

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #5  
I would love diesel at that price. It's not dipped below $3.89 here for a year or more.

Chris

I'm not that far from him and have seen it no cheaper here than $3.89 as well.

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #6  
I cheat. I get substantial business discounts for on road fuel. Probably because I go thru so much... about 21,000 gallons a year. Got it for a steal last week. Diesel at $3.01 a gallon, including fuel tax. Went back up this week a little. Got it for $3.24 this week. Off road would be even cheaper than these prices. State fuel taxes play a major part in disparity of fuel prices in different locations. I love how the Indiana/Illinois thing plays out. At the pump, Indiana pricing seems best. When you factor out fuel tax, Illinois fuel price is cheaper. Since I have to do the IFTA fuel tax reporting thing for each state I operate in, I only pay fuel tax on the gallons of fuel I use in a particular state. So I get a lion's share of my fuel in Illinois, and they have to kick back a large portion of the fuel tax I paid at the pump. So, the fuel is a killer price in Illinois for me. Indiana plays little games. For "exempt" vehicles, they show a real low price, compared to Illinois, at the pump. What they do later is, on the fuel you use in Indiana, based on your IFTA reporting, they also charge an additional 10 cents a gallon that you didn't pay at the pump. What a bait and switch scam all these states have going on.

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #7  
Lowest I've seen diesel here is 3.40 a gallon

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #9  
I'm not that far from him and have seen it no cheaper here than $3.89 as well.

I found a station today 12 miles away from the almost $4 one in my previous post. $3.39. I wonder how long I've been in a coma?

/ Winter Blend Diesel Availability? #10  
here, even at the terminals, and that's very unusual at this late date.
Good to know. I usually buy at the Irving station at Exit 9 off 89 in Warner, or in Newport. I've been adding additive to make sure it doesn't gel on me.