How old is too old for oil

/ How old is too old for oil #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
I suspect this has been addressed before but my search turned up empty, so . . .

I have a collection of oils that are at least five years old. Some is Honda ATV oil, some is basic WD 30, and some is 2-cycle oil. None of the containers have ever been opened. Does oil go bad or would they likely be ok to use?

Thanks for your comments.

/ How old is too old for oil #2  
I'd use them...maybe mix in some newer oil til they are gone. Maybe not if topping off something.

/ How old is too old for oil #3  
As long as the containers have not been exposed to air and humidity they are still good. For years I have been using 600W oil in the differentials of my 1919 Model T and 1931 Model A that was produced in the 1920's so in effect I am using a oil produced 90 years ago. The 600W is a steam engine demarcation and does not translate very well to modern oil weighs though it is much thicker than modern differential lubes.

/ How old is too old for oil #4  
Use it. No issues.

Chris

/ How old is too old for oil #5  
I would use un-opened "old" oil as long as it meets the specs for the engine.

I do, in fact, use some "old" oil, primarily old 2-cycle.

Back in the 80's I worked for an outfit that had, at least 20 years earlier, bought a bunch of military surplus gear oil. There were stacks of pallets of the stuff, in drab green (5) gallon cans marked "GO-80"

We used it in everything that was supposed to have gear oil in it. And a lot of stuff that was not supposed to have gear oil in it.

/ How old is too old for oil #6  
What does everyone do with unused but opened oil? Seems like I end up with odds and ends partial bottles from things like small engines that take less than a quart. I hate to just dump it in with the used oil for recycling but I don't have many needs for this oil.

/ How old is too old for oil #7  
What does everyone do with unused but opened oil? Seems like I end up with odds and ends partial bottles from things like small engines that take less than a quart. I hate to just dump it in with the used oil for recycling but I don't have many needs for this oil.

I use it for bar lube for my four chain saws......

/ How old is too old for oil #8  

I use old opened oil in shop oil cans (pump type). also use it mixed with diesel to treat the wood decks on trailers, and as long as it is clean mix it with new oil for small engines.

/ How old is too old for oil #9  
The additive package can drop out of suspension as the oil ages. Most people look at the "black sludge" left in the bottom of an oil certainer when they do an oil change and think it's dirt from sloppy refining but..that's your oil additive, or part of them anyways.

/ How old is too old for oil #10  
Opened & unused oil - chain saw lube & oil for the pump oil can.