What fluid to use in HST

/ What fluid to use in HST #1  

dshontell

Tractor
2014 Branson 2400 H
Branson 2400 h 4x4.
Manual says Branson original fluid, Texaco THD oil or 1893.
We'll not sure where to find these and don't know what to look for. Checked at Orielly auto for their premium tractor fluid but they don't seem to stock it in my area. They had a 303, 32 and 48 I think. All in stock. What should I be looking for? Dealer said fluid with non foaming is a must. He is a small seller and does not carry fluids.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks

/ What fluid to use in HST
I went to TS and picked up some universal fluid from Travelers. I am only using to keep it topped off and to have on hand for now.
I've been running amsoil in my truck for several years. I will look into swapping at the first major service.
Thanks for the suggestion. I also ran across some more posts with lots of info.

/ What fluid to use in HST #4  
Texaco THD is just a "Hydraulic Transmission Oil"

This is what I would use in place of it; Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil SAE 5W-30

This is rich blood for my tractor Z. Would cost me close to $500 (10 gallons with shipping ) just for the oil to do mine with this. Might be one thing if you never had to change it again but I doubt that. Good stuff I'm sure.

/ What fluid to use in HST #5  
Hydraulic fluid, auto transmission fluid and power steering fluid are all pretty much 5 weight fluids that are very highly refined, even more so than engine oil, at least their dyno cousins. They won't have many additives. They have to be light weight enough to be very fluid at cold startup so the hydraulic systems don't over pressure due to fluid resistance. They're essentially like water at operating temperature.

Ralph

/ What fluid to use in HST #6  
Any hydraulic fluid that meets your spec'd oil would be acceptable. Make sure it is acceptable for tractors with shared transmission and hydraulic reservoirs and enclosed wet brakes. Most Universal hydraulic fluids are compatible with almost all tractors.

I don't care how good it is, no way would I pay $10.80 per quart for hydraulic fluid. There just isn't any additive or synthetic oil worth that price nor are they that much better. Kubota's SUDT2 is about as expensive as I would care to go if I went to a synthetic. I used the Kubota oil till all my stuff was out of warranty at the dealers suggestion, but even the shop supervisor agreed that universal hydraulic oil is just as good for our climate. If you live in sub-zero climates, synthetic oil would perhaps be worth the extra cost but it rarely gets below freezing in my area so my Kubota dealer doesn't even stock SUDT2 which should indicate something to the "oil experts here.

/ What fluid to use in HST
Ok after trying to start the tractor and failing until I found that I had moved the pto lever and never realized it. Spent an hour with a friend trying to figure out what had failed on the new tractor. It was me.
Anyway, checked the hydraulic fluid level and it was not even reading on the stick. Added the fluid I had picked up but got a bit to much in there. It's above the upper mark. Is this a bad thing with a HST? I think I can use a turkey baster to pull it out easy enough. Did find that that the bucket responded better.

/ What fluid to use in HST #8  
Several years ago I had a NH TC40D. It was time to change the trans fluid, and I decided to try AMSOIL. I noticed a big change in operation of the hydro drive. It was much quieter especially in the winter. Well worth the investment.
I expect synthetic hyd. trans. fluid from another mfg would also give similar results. I only went with AMSOIL because I have had good luck with their products.

Bill

/ What fluid to use in HST #9  
If you live in sub-zero climates, synthetic oil would perhaps be worth the extra cost but it rarely gets below freezing in my area so my Kubota dealer doesn't even stock SUDT2 which should indicate something to the "oil experts here.
I'm not an "oil expert", but all this tells me is your dealer stocks what his customers buy, a smart business decision, not a judgement on the value of synthetic HST oil.

/ What fluid to use in HST #10  
Mobilfluid 424 Mobilfluid 424
Universal Tractor hydraulic fluid. Meets all the specs: CAT, NH, JD, Case, Kubota, etc., etc., etc.
I buy it from the local fuel distributor. Comes in 5 gallon buckets, 55 gallon drums, and 250 gallon totes.