Old engine oil requirements

/ Old engine oil requirements #11  
The surprising find was my BX2200 (2003) calls for CD or CC. API list those as obsolete and not suitable for engines manufactured after 1990 or 1994.

Oils are generally backwards compatible.

First letter is for Compression (as in diesel), higher second letters are backwards compatible with lower second letters.

S on the first letter is for Spark (as in gas engine), same deal on the second letter as above

/ Old engine oil requirements #12  
Newest engines usually take oil formulated for their specific technology, especially so with all the restrictions on particulate matter being kept out of the tailpipe emissions. So newer oils are generally able to be applied to earlier engines, whereas old spec oils would not work in the newer engines, because they lack the properties necessary to meet the current demands of these engines.

/ Old engine oil requirements #13  
I use a synthetic 0W40 in my 1986 Honda TRS200SX (air cooled, no oil filter). It works like a charm (and has for years) and this ATV has many, many miles on it. It still runs like a top and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Amazing actually for all it's been through. Gotta love Honda's.

DEWFPO

/ Old engine oil requirements #14  
I use a synthetic 0W40 in my 1986 Honda TRS200SX (air cooled, no oil filter). It works like a charm (and has for years) and this ATV has many, many miles on it. It still runs like a top and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Amazing actually for all it's been through. Gotta love Honda's.

DEWFPO

Air-cooled no less..... Hondas are know as long running, but that is impressive.

What is striking about the C_ spec list on the previous page is the rate of change. At the bottom, those old specs changed about once per decade. Speaks to the complexity of modern diesels, and serves as a useful reminder against using old spec oil in newer diesels.

Rgds, D.

/ Old engine oil requirements #15  
Oils are generally backwards compatible.

First letter is for Compression (as in diesel), higher second letters are backwards compatible with lower second letters.

S on the first letter is for Spark (as in gas engine), same deal on the second letter as above

Hi TomSeller.

I understand the oils are backward compatible. Just don't understand why Kubota recommends oils that have been obsolete for 10+ years? The API Service rating should have been CH-4 or CI-4 to meet current standards at that time.

/ Old engine oil requirements #16  
Hi TomSeller.

I understand the oils are backward compatible. Just don't understand why Kubota recommends oils that have been obsolete for 10+ years? The API Service rating should have been CH-4 or CI-4 to meet current standards at that time.

Unless they goofed, that was the minimum C_ spec (oldest, in other words) they considered acceptable in that pre-Emissions diesel.

Handy, if you have or stumble across a stash of old oil - you can use it, w/o voiding warranty.

Rdgs, D.

/ Old engine oil requirements #17  
Hi TomSeller.

They probably just hadn't updated the document.

/ Old engine oil requirements #18  
Comments about not updating are probably right. Got caught at that a few times because part of my job as responsible for validation testing was the job that needed to be done at the last minute- proof reading the OMM, something suited for a long overseas plane ride. Only thing is a person is also tired out and misses things. Oil viscosity tables are one thing. Fortunately our fluids group also reviewed the manuals after me and I sometimes got calls asking me what I was drinking when I missed xxx. Unfortunately the manual stays with the machine and the customer is left with an error. We publish a weekly magazine to dealers with corrections but that doesn't help the end user. Kubota, however, does have an updated fluid requirement list on line.

/ Old engine oil requirements
Got the oil changed this weekend, went back with the 10w30 I've been using. I did notice some fuel in the oil, maybe this is due to the engine being a little worn. It runs fine, not rich, and idles smoothly once warm. It does not smoke or burn oil. Overall has been a solid machine. We had the entire rear end assembly replaced about 6 months ago, $1800, well cheaper than a new one. Owned it since new in 1997.

/ Old engine oil requirements #20  
We have a 1997 Honda ATV 300 4x4 we use on our farm everyday, twice a day, to feed our horses. The engine is original, never rebuilt. I run dino 10w-30 in it but think it may benefit from a heavier oil as I have been told has been done on older motors- some folks going from a 10-30 to straight 30. Is there any truth to this and if so, would running Rotella 15-40 be an acceptable replacement eventhough it is sold primarily for diesel engines?

run what the maker reccomended. going to a straight 30 in a machine designed for 10w30 will accelerate startup wear.