Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #21  
I'm not going to actually do this test, I think the fire hazard is just to high.

I guess it's back to the 5,000 km tests.

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #22  
I've been using Motorcraft semi-synthetic in all my Fords for years now. Wonder how that stacks up against pure dino or full synthetic.

Fall right in the middle?

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #23  
I've been using Motorcraft semi-synthetic in all my Fords for years now. Wonder how that stacks up against pure dino or full synthetic.

Fall right in the middle?

That is a good question. I often use blends in addition.

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #24  
That is a good question. I often use blends in addition.

For most people a Semi Synthetic makes the most sense. The issue is most cost what a decent synthetic cost on sale and the Semi stuff never seems to go on sale.

In my area many times Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Havoiline Synthetic can be had on sale for $25 for 5 qt with a filter and dyno stuff is $22. It only makes sense to go to Synthetic.

Chris

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #25  
For most people a Semi Synthetic makes the most sense. The issue is most cost what a decent synthetic cost on sale and the Semi stuff never seems to go on sale.

In my area many times Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Havoiline Synthetic can be had on sale for $25 for 5 qt with a filter and dyno stuff is $22. It only makes sense to go to Synthetic.

Chris

I've been buying the 5 qt jugs of 5w20 at walmart for around $18.00. What's funny is autozone and others want $27.00 for the same exact thing.

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #26  
The amount of synthetic motor oil content in synthetic blend motor oil can be as little 10 percent or less. There are no specifications that cover what amount can be used to call it a semi-synthetic or synthetic blend.

Synthetic blend motor oils do not offer much to the costumer, and are marketed because they are extremely cheap for manufacturers to produce. Synthetic blends does little more than fill the void 'in the consumer's mind' between regular petroleum and synthetic.

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #27  
I've been buying the 5 qt jugs of 5w20 at walmart for around $18.00. What's funny is autozone and others want $27.00 for the same exact thing.

Just curious if you compared the product numbers/SKU to confirm it's really the same product? A 50% mark up at AZ seems high.

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #28  
Synthetic blend motor oils do not offer much to the costumer, and are marketed because they are extremely cheap for manufacturers to produce. Synthetic blends does little more than fill the void 'in the consumer's mind' between regular petroleum and synthetic.

While having a standard would be nice, the product offers some of the benefits of synthetic at some of the cost. What's wrong with that?

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #29  
You assume some benefit but do you really know?

Memo:

We are preparing to launch a new product line of "Semi-Synthetic" motor oils to appeal to the shifting mass of market becoming educated to and finding value in the performance characteristics of synthetic lubes--but whom, however, avoid the product due to its premium cost. Blend 10% synthetic into bulk petroleum oil for packaging as "High-Performance Premium Semi-Synthetic" at a price point of 220% the cost of regular petroleum oil.

/ Conventional oil vs synthetic oil question #30  
You assume some benefit but do you really know?
Without standards, or an indication on the bottle, you don't know, other than the broad criteria that the cost falls somewhere between dino cost and full synthetic cost. A range I doubt a 220% increase would fall into. Obviously, a 10% syn at a 20% price increase would not be in the consumer's favor.

it's also why I don't buy blends, I buy 100% syn. :) But diff strokes for diff folks.