diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #11  
CM, you think maybe the rack on the IP is bad?

Yes, unfortunately, especially since the OP mentioned super high revs, even after turning off the keyswitch. But because of known ignition switch issues, stop solenoid failures, etc. all being relatively common, it might be a combo of issues. Wouldn't want to necessarily go directly to the pump until other items like stop solenoid, it's relay and the keyswitch are verified as to their functionality. Worst case, IP AND other item(s) are all failing or at least some of them....

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #12  
First things first. Start with easy and cheapest.
You are in Maine, its cold do you have an additive in your fuel? icing, gelling?
Fuel shut off solenoid iced?
Key switch acting up?

My first steps would be the ignition switch, spray WD40 into the key slot.
Next might be to blow hot air on the shut off solenoid to assure that it is not the culprit.
Also maybe the air cleaner, is it choked up by snow? that would have a 'choke' effect causing changes to the fuel/air mixture.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition
Added 911 to the tank today let it run for about 30 minutes.

Sprayed wd40 in the switch.

tomorrow I will pull the air filter and check the intake

thanks for all the suggestion, I will be going thru each one.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #14  
I use Power Service in the white bottle for winter anti-gel. It has cetane booster in it as well.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #15  
Added 911 to the tank today let it run for about 30 minutes.

Sprayed wd40 in the switch.

tomorrow I will pull the air filter and check the intake

thanks for all the suggestion, I will be going thru each one.

The only way a diesel can continue to run after the pump has been placed in NO fuel is for it to start running on its own oil. If you have a turbo that could very well be the issue. If you do not chances are that is not it. If you have a turbo be sure to check the compressor side of the turbo.(between head and turbo) The engine reving once the key is off would concern me!

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #16  
These are NOT a turbo engine. The IPs ARE susceptible to the rack jamming and the teeth breaking, making the engine rev to infinity. They can be rebuilt for way less then a new pump, but we're not there yet diagnostically.
And, one of the still unanswered questions is what is the cause and effect of the pump NOT going to a no fuel position. It's likely the stop solenoid or it's relay; but it could be a failing rack inside the pump as the teeth are being ground to dust. We just don't know since the keyswitch is acting up too.:confused3:

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #17  
To forum - my tractor has both the grandchild pto lever start defeat and the automatic distance from the house autosensing shutoff circuit.

Starkiller Hollow, Oklahoma
USN Brat