diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #1  

mtfalk64

Tractor
2007 Kioti 45 hp
I have a Kioti 45hp and live in Maine.
Use off road dye diesel.
Tractor has 1400 hours.
Change oil every 100 hours.
Fuel filter changed at 1100 hours.
Temp is 0 at night and maybe 20 during the day.
Engine will start if I start it once a day but if left to sit a week or two it is like having no fuel. I will use a small torpedo heater to warm up the motor and it will start. When I am plowing and running about 1800 to 2000 RPMs and then let up on the pedel the tractor will die. It starts right back up but sometimes has no response to the throttle and I turn the key off and on quickly and runs normal. On a few occasions the engine will just rev up and I can turn the key off but will not shut of motor. I have to brake and use high gear to stall the engine. I can restart the motor and it will run fine again. I figure its a fuel problem, but with the revving of the motor with key off has me stumpped.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #2  
As soon as I say something someone will jump in and contradict what I say, having said that I would look at the fuel situation first. Is it 'winter fuel'? Have you treated it with anti-gel?

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #3  
There is only one reason a diesel will keep running when shut off, its still getting fuel. I would suspect that your fuel shutoff solenoid is bad. That would explain why it is not starting or shutting off. I would also check your engine oil to make sure that the engine is not consuming that.
There could also be problems with the fuel such as gelling or freezing, however that should not affect the engine shutting down.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #4  
I would check your fuel return lines for restrictions/clogs Possible your are building high pressure fuel /or fuel air mix in your injector pump , Check the pump area for any debris or damage interfering with its levers and controls'
some pumps have shafts that extend through the pump body between the pump and block , If nothing is apparent (do you have a service manual)?? I would check the pump adjustments by the book ,or remove
pump with governor and have rebuilt /repaired at a qualified pump repair shop

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition
Well I am very impressed, fast response. Thank you all.

I will check at the fuel station and check if it is a winter blend.
I did put some treatment in the fuel. Does anyone have a certain brand or type that is recommended?
I will check the oil to see if there is anything other then oil.
The engine has only done the high revs twice in 12 gallons of fuel used. It did it when I am pushing a lot of snow and I let up on the throttle.
I will be looking over the engine for possible restriction.
I don't have a manual but I will be getting one ASAP.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #6  
This thread would be better attended to if posted in the Kioti owner/operator forum. More Kioti team members will likely see it and respond. What EXACT model do you have? DK? Sounds like the fuel stop solenoid may not be working regarding you having to stall the tractor to get it to shut off. That needs immediate attention so you don't end up with the injection pump going to wide open, and being very difficult to shut down.

Sounds like the lift pump may be failing to deliver fuel when you let off the throttle, but this could also be tied to the other problem, the won't shut off issue, or possible uncut fuel and partial gelling, though less likely. I say that because it is possible your IP is having some internal part issues that might be causing both problems. IPs are very sensitive to fuel contamination, if the filter before the IP isn't changed frequently or your fuel supply is not 'cut' for winter use. I'd have to imagine being in Maine your fuel would be cut/winterized, but not necessarily if you have a stored supply you're working from.

This problem needs to be systematically troubleshooted via elimination of one by one symptom elimination.

You're not likely to be able to discern any oil contaminants without doing an oil analysis. Since you change the oil every 100 hours; filter too? (BTW, You don't need that frequent oil changes if you're using a high quality oil intended for diesel engines).

To summarize, you seem to have fuel, and possibly stop solenoid/relay issues keeping her from shutting off when key is in off position. And you need to verify your fuel as being cut and free of water or other contaminants.
Start with your fuel supply, then the stop solenoid and associated relay to verify the electrical circuit is functioning. Post back any questions/findings, etc. You can ask the admin to move your thread by clicking on the exclamation triangle in the lower left of your first post window.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #7  
CM, you think maybe the rack on the IP is bad?

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #8  
Agree with fuel solenoid possibly failing....also, am suspicious of the key switch, might be making intermittent contact.

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #9  
Sounds like it's a bad injector pump.

Chris

/ diesel stalls and sometimes engine revs super high RPMs even if I turn off ignition #10  
:welcome:
To the forum. Does it always seem that if you are going to have a problem it is always on the coldest day, bad weather, or other conditions like that.