Fueling Station

/ Fueling Station #1  

jay_ch28

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Hey Guys,
I just got a TC40D and I would like to get a tank to store fuel.

Where can you get these?
What sizes are availible?
How big will I need?
I figure the machine will get at least 8hrs of use per week during the mowing season and little to none in the winter.
Who would I call to get bulk fuel delivered?
What type of pump is enough?
Manual or Electric? (Tractor Tank Size is 11gal I THINK)

Any Advice Would be Appreciated

/ Fueling Station #2  
Eight hours a week will be about 5-6 gallons of diesel running at PTO speed. You will have difficulties keeping large tanks (>150 gallons) of fuel fresh. Most bulk distributors will have a minimum of about that amount for delivery. There are also fuel gelling problems that occur if you try to use summer diesel fuel during the winter months, although you could use anti-gel additives. I would suggest using 5 gallon yellow plastic cans. Get a couple and you'll only need a fuel road trip twice a month.

/ Fueling Station #3  
See "Back Saving Tractor Fueling" thread in this forum. I use a pump similar to the one pictured, but my drums are plastic 30-gallon that farm chemicals shipped in. Seems to me that condensation isn't as bad in the plastic drums as steel and the 30-gallon size is much easier to handle without the FEL.
Considering the probable fuel useage of your tractor, bulk fuel delivery would be overkill.
I've been on the lookout for some sort of electric pump that's not too expensive (spell that CHEAP!), but this works for me until one comes along. Much better than 5-gallon cans.

/ Fueling Station #4  
Jay I also run a TC-40D and have put 105 hours on mine since November. I pump all my diesel into the plastic 5 gallon containers only after I have poured 1-1/2 onces of Power Service in each container. I always try to keep 4 jugs or 20 gallons of fuel on hand. The best time to refuel your rig is after you have used it. That way you will be least likely to build any condensation in your fuel tank. Class III Boomer's like the TC-40D are much easier to fill while the engine is still warm since the tank is behind the tractor. I don't think that you need to stockpile any large amounts of fuel unless your current needs change. Enjoy the New Holland! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Fueling Station #5  
Jay,

I got a 300-gallon skid tank delivered by just calling our normal fuel oil company. They just top it off from time to time. Pull the tractor up next to it, stick the hose in, and crank the pump.

Having the extra fuel on hand was great when the huge ice storm hit last year.. the tractor was running 24x7 for over a week turning a generator powering our house and a neighbor's, and local gas stations had no power to pump fuel. I expect this situation to only get worse, since Baby Enron out here apparently hasn't done any preventive maint on the lines for a decade or so. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Was also handy during the last couple weeks.. when I would get up, plow snow, go to work, come home, plow snow, etc. I was tired, and it would have been one more hassle to keep driving to the station to fill those little fuel cans.

I just dump in a container of Power Service now and then (conveniently, one large container treats 300 gallons), and have had no problems.. knocking on my wooden head... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I expect people will say this is a dumb approach, but it's worked for me.

Bob

p.s. During that ice storm I was using around 12-15 gallons per day.. which would have meant a lot of nuisance trips to gas stations.. if I could have found any which had power.

/ Fueling Station #6  
Jay, I just use a 35 gal. poly drum with a hand pump. (see attached photo) I can fit the drum in the back of the mini van and fill it up. I just slide it down the bumper to unload. I do use the Power Services additive and have never had a fuel problem. I fill it about 4 times a year, so the fuel is still fresh always.

Attachments

• 371081-fuel.jpg
    371081-fuel.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 304
   / Fueling Station #7  
I am very fortunate in that I usually just drive .6 miles to the local country store and refuel /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do keep a 55 gal drum of fuel in the winter in case of fuel outages. When spring arrives I just use the remaining fuel in the drum in my tractor.

/ Fueling Station #8  
These guys got it about right. It would be a overkill. I like 30 gallon drum idea.Will try that myself.Good luck.

/ Fueling Station #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( These guys got it about right. It would be a overkill. )</font>

Is there such a thing as underkill, and, if so, is it a good thing? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Depends on your needs and perceptions, I guess. I can't see a situation where I'd say, darn, I have too much fuel! Not in these days of power outages, weird weather, "terrorism", and so on.

Has anyone here actually had a situation where properly treated and stored diesel fuel went "stale" on them? I keep this for the same reason we keep a few months of food on hand... just in case. Makes life more convenient.. and it's one less thing to worry about.

I think the OP got some different perspectives here, and will be able to think about the various options now. And that's the name of the game. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob

/ Fueling Station #10  
I had a horizontal fuel oil tank that had seen only one fill that I use for my fueling station. I bought the pump at TSC. It runs off 12v. I also got the auto shutoff and the filter. I thought about saving some money with a manual pump, but then I figured I'd only be buying one in my life so get what I want. I'm glad I did. The only I don't have is a meter. With my daily tractor use, and I fill up space heaters and when I ran out of fuel in my shop I hauled 5 gallons containers for a few days I used 150 gallons in a 1 1/2 months. I just got another 150 gallons of the 50/50 mix which will last me through the cold weather(I hope) and I'll go to straight diesel. You can get smaller tanks but you'll have to check about minimum deliveries in your area. Usually 100-150 is required, but it can depend on who you know.