Lucas oil stanilizer

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #1  

rnh1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Have used this for years with good results. I talked to a mechanic that said it gunks up engines. I usually use Rotella 5-40 in my engines

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #3  
BITOG has sent for a virgin oil analysis and theres nothing in it. Just heavy oil with nothing.

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #5  
Yep, what Edward said. LOS was analyzed and it had not additives of any kind. Just a heavy base oil. It is an oil thickener and that is it.

But, I could never get past the name itself.... Lucas Oil Stabilizer. What is unstable about modern oils and lubes that they need Forrest Lucas to come along and stabilize them? The whole thing seems goofy. And since it is only a thickener with no additives, if someone wants a thicker oil then just buy a thicker motor oil with all the additives at a cheaper price!

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #6  
I never understood it either. I guess it's just like STP Oil Treatment or Engine Honey. It can quiet a noisy engine a little but probably provides more harm than good to the engine itself. Your just adding, very thick, un-additized oil to a good oil package already in the engine.

DEWFPO

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #7  
I never understood it either. I guess it's just like STP Oil Treatment or Engine Honey. It can quiet a noisy engine a little but probably provides more harm than good to the engine itself. Your just adding, very thick, un-additized oil to a good oil package already in the engine.

DEWFPO

I recall there being a video once someplace showing the Lucas tranny oil stabilizer in action. The surprising thing was that it had on noteworthy effect. When added to the oem's oil it caused cavitation and foaming that didn't exist prior to its being added. That was plenty enough tho convince me to steer clear. It may look good turning that crank on the plastic box at low RPMs on the counter at NAPA but actual operating speed is entirely different.

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #8  
Used to be an extensive article at the BITOG website, including pictures, of testing they did using LOS. You are right, when it is on the counter at the parts store is one thing, but being tossed around in a gear box or engine is quite another.

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #9  
The only ADDITIVE that I know that works is STABIL on ethanol gasoline. I don't use anything other than that. I suppose if I lived a bit further north, I would also add a anti-gel agent to my diesel and possibly a biocide if needed but so far non of that has been needed here.

All oils today are 1000% better than 50 years ago(and they did a fair job of protection even back then) and need no further additives.

/ Lucas oil stanilizer #10  
And with the standards oils have to meet now.... SN, GF-5, Dexos, VW, MB, CJ-4, etc, etc, etc, on down the line, to think that they need something else in them that Forrest Lucas cooked up in warehouse seems strange. But man, he sure has developed a dedicated following. No one has yet proven to me that it helps that much, if any. I have seen lots of commercial truck engines go well beyond 1 million miles without major repairs without LOS in them. But folks that do use it want to be able to justify their choice, so they will claim their engine went to some extreme length of time because of LOS in them, yet for every one of those claims you can find as many examples of engines that did the same thing just on regular oil with no LOS. I took a Cummins N-14 to 1.4 million miles, sold it, and it went right to work for the next guy, and it never got LOS at any time. Just a Kendall 15w40 and 30,000 mile oil changes. All I ever had to do to that motor was one injector and a accessory drive seal.

To be fair to Lucas and not totally shoot him down, I have heard of many positive stories from die hards and skeptic alike regarding his fuel injector cleaner stuff. I am partial to his 5th wheel lube also. So not everything Lucas puts in a bottle is snake oil.