Grease Guns

/ Grease Guns #1  

John Dougherty

Bronze Member
Tractor
mahindra max 28xl shuttle
Like many others, I use a manual cartridge grease gun. My beef is that the plunger must be constantly pulled back to push more grease forward to the pump. In addition, when the weather is hot the grease becomes runny, which renders the gun even less efficient. So I guess I have two questions; is there a grease gun that eliminates this need to re-plunge the grease or am I just storing my cartridges improperly? To the second question, I store them in my shop which never rises above 80*.

/ Grease Guns #2  
Believe me, I have had my issues with grease guns. What a horrible chore anyway! I am not sure what you mean about having to replunge. That rod can be rotated to engage or disengage the piston, but I did not know you could push the piston. That would require immense force, no? I know, on one gun, I never seem to get anywhere near all the grease out so I always end up scooping it out to put in a jar.

I recently bought a cheap electric gun at TSC and so far I have not had issues with it sucking air although it is kind of cumbersome and the nicads pose a whole different problem.

/ Grease Guns
Sorry I was unclear about the plunger. What I'm referring to is the spring loaded stem that is retracted while inserting the cartridge and then releasing it after the cartridge is in place and all is screwed back together. All works initially, but it seems I never get all of the grease from the tube. At some point, the pumping mechanism gets air in it and no grease comes out. At that point the stem must be pulled back and released to push more grease forward. This is usually ineffective. Thanks for your input.

/ Grease Guns #4  
I guess I got lucky... I bought a conventional manual grease gun over 40 years ago (at Crappy Tire) ...
Always works great, hardly more than a smear of grease left when the cartridge is empty. Don't have to do anything special at all to use all the grease.
Between the BX and the TG1860 I use only 2 or 3 cartridges a year. It seems cars don't have grease nipples on front suspension/steering linkage anymore.
I find that the type/quality of grease you buy is related to how much drips/runs out of the gun in hot weather.

Pete

/ Grease Guns #5  
The one I had trouble with has a picture of a Deere running on it. Guess the same engineers that designed the tractor came up with that too.

I did not know you could manipulate the piston. I only ever opened the bleeder valve, making a big mess and eventually got the thing working again, but always a whole lot of grease left in the end.

/ Grease Guns
Pete, thanks. Maybe I'll have to wait for a Crappy Tire store to set up here in my part of California. The trouble is, I don't mind spending money for a tool that works. You know what they say, "a woman will buy something she doesn't need if it's on sale and a guy will pay full price for something he needs and works".

/ Grease Guns #7  
I have had problems with air inside the grease tube and when it gets to the plunger I get nothing. I take tension off the grease between uses to prevent the warm grease from bypassing the plunger and filling in behind.

Seems hanging the grease gun bottom up during warm weather has eliminated the problem.

/ Grease Guns
I have had problems with air inside the grease tube and when it gets to the plunger I get nothing. I take tension off the grease between uses to prevent the warm grease from bypassing the plunger and filling in behind.

Seems hanging the grease gun bottom up during warm weather has eliminated the problem.
Thanks, Dave. That sounds like really good advice. Still like that bird, wish we had some of those here.

/ Grease Guns #9  
Believe me, I have had my issues with grease guns. What a horrible chore anyway! I am not sure what you mean about having to replunge. That rod can be rotated to engage or disengage the piston, but I did not know you could push the piston. That would require immense force, no? I know, on one gun, I never seem to get anywhere near all the grease out so I always end up scooping it out to put in a jar.
I recently bought a cheap electric gun at TSC and so far I have not had issues with it sucking air although it is kind of cumbersome and the nicads pose a whole different problem.

Pushing on the piston will get rid of air when starting a new cartridge. On some guns the spring gets to weak to force the grease into the pump suction. Pushing on the handle/piston will move the grease forward.

Joy is when a new cartridge is inserted, the pump end is just about to be screwed on and the handle gets knocked out of it's holding slot.

/ Grease Guns #10  
I bought a Lincoln pneumatic gun and it has been great. Whenever I get an air pocket I just unscrew the top a little bit to bleed the air out. I think there is also a bleeder valve near the spout anyway. No matter how you cut it, you're gonna get grease all over something. If it isn't the gun it's the grease fitting. Dealing with a compressor is a slight burden, but I just pull the trigger and it goes.