Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank

/ Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #1  

BarryinMN

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD, Allis-Chalmers, Zetor
Local fuel dealer will sell 55g drums for $20. I'm thinking something square with fork pockets in it 12V electric pump with 10 micron + water filters in line. Local Fleet Farm has white box with chain loops on top no fork pockets but cautions against moving full tank.

/ Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #2  
Wonder if one of those sprayer tanks would work as a fuel tank? They usually have 12v, approx. 1-2 gpm pumps on them, too. I have a couple of the same type of pumps they use that I use for irrigation. They'd probably pump diesel better than water, as they tend to get "stuck" periodically on water after long standing.

Some of them even have some with a 3pt hookup; I think. Try TSC.

Ralph

/ Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #3  
Just have to see if the plastic tank is solvent rated..

Soundguy

/ Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #4  
Barry........Attached is a picture of my shop fueling setup (diesel) . My fuel distributor gets fuel additives and oil in these large plastic totes. Mine happens to be a 320 gallon model , but these totes are made in various sizes and are made with fork pockets or skid mounted. The going price for these totes around here is $50- $75..............I know they make them in a smaller;....approx 100-150 gallon size too..........I made a top bracket to mount my elec. pump (12V) and also a fill opening. The pump is a gasboy/tuthill style like they sell at TSC or northern..........Tom

Attachments

• 372167-shop diesel tank.jpg
    372167-shop diesel tank.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 649
   / Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #5  
Close-up of pump and water separating fuel filter.

Attachments

• 372169-pump shop diesel.jpg
    372169-pump shop diesel.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 419
   / Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #6  
A number of those pumps are product specific. Meaning that gas or diesal will eat out the seals and other parts in no time if it not specifically made for hydrocarbons. I have a backpack sprayer that I tried a combination of water diesal and embutox. It worked fine untill the next time I wanted to use it and then everything was dripping down the back of my pants.

/ Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank
Thanks for all the tips - I'll shop around for the pieces & post back when I'm done.

/ Tips on where to find ~100 gal fuel storage tank #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> * </font> Wonder if one of those sprayer tanks would work as a fuel tank? They usually have 12v, approx. 1-2 gpm pumps on them, too. I have a couple of the same type of pumps they use that I use for irrigation. They'd probably pump diesel better than water, as they tend to get "stuck" periodically on water after long standing.

Some of them even have some with a 3pt hookup; I think. Try TSC.

Ralph )</font>
<font color="red"> * </font> *************
I bought one of those sprayers from TSC thinking the same thing.
Soon as I opened the lid on the box the first thing I saw was the warning label on the pump stating warning do not us for gasoline or diesel fuel.
There was another warning saying these fuels will also eat up the seals in the pump and tank.
Also you need pipe threads to add a fuel filter and a filler hose not slip over hoses with hose clamps.
I took it back because it won't work for a fuel tank.