Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
At 10 years/105k miles I took my Focus Wagon to the dealer to see what preventive service is recommended. It has had nearly zero maintenance expense since new.

It's had maybe a dozen oil changes, a battery, and tires once in these ten years, plus a taillight socket and a turn signal switch. Brakes are still fine. Oil level is still full at oil change time, 8k to 12 k miles. It still gets over 30 mpg and runs smooth so I don't see any reason to replace the factory spark plugs yet, but I'll do it as soon as mpg falls. I can't think of any other maintenance cost. The car still looks new.

I wanted a rumble diagnosed (motor mount - replaced), its first coolant flush, and whatever else they recommend as 100,000 mile service. They talked me into a BG Power Steering flush. Ok, I hope it is troublefree for another 10 years so I agreed to that.

However - the PS cap looked undisturbed. It was very hard to open, then normally easy when I tried it again. No sign of cleaning the area with a rag etc. I suspect I might have been charged for work not performed.

Here's a sample of the PS fluid I dipped with a paper napkin. Should it look this brown? Is BG's replacement PS fluid this color?

View attachment 416315

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #2  
Power steering fluid right out of the container is usually clear or yellowish. Flushing usually involves disconnecting the lines at the steering gear and cycling the steering wheel back and forth a few time to empty the assist cylinder, pump, reservoir, lines and valve. Yet, there is still some crapola left in there. It could be this remainder that's coloring your new clear fluid (too give them the benefit of the doubt).

I've had a dealership show me burned power steering fluid from my 2010 Vibe (which just happens to have ELECTRIC POWER STEERING i.e. NO HYDRAULIC FLUID). That little mistake cost someone a replacement rear-end.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #3  
Is that gold or blue? Just kidding. Your description sure sounds like they didn't perform the service. If that's ten year old fluid it looks normal to me. Not sure about the brand you're referring to and I sure ain't no expert. I kinda prescribe to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" theory.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #4  
On another note, a few years ago I ruined a master cylinder on my Dodge Ram. The bottle I thought was brake fluid I now believe was power steering fluid. The label was missing.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #5  
On another note, a few years ago I ruined a master cylinder on my Dodge Ram. The bottle I thought was brake fluid I now believe was power steering fluid. The label was missing.

It's easy to tell the difference by seeing which one will mix with water.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #6  
The only thing I can add to your maintenance plans is that I wouldn't wait until the mileage falls to change spark plugs and wires. Do it at the recommended intervals specified in your owners manual. I see many engines where people have waited for too long and then they have an engine that burns oil on one or two cylinders.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #7  
If you are not sure, check with the dealer and ask to see some of their new fluid.

On my Dodge Ram truck, I change the power steering fluid myself now on a regular basis. I remove what is in the hydraulic tank and replace with new. Start the engine and mover wheels to circulate fluid and repeat until I change all of two litres. It seems to work and I get no growl or hi pitched whine in -15 degree weather. It works fine and I don't spend more than about $10 in total and get new fluid to boot.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #8  
The only thing I can add to your maintenance plans is that I wouldn't wait until the mileage falls to change spark plugs and wires. Do it at the recommended intervals specified in your owners manual. I see many engines where people have waited for too long and then they have an engine that burns oil on one or two cylinders.

I'm curious, how do spark plugs cause a cylinder to burn oil? That's a new one for me.

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #9  
I'm curious, how do spark plugs cause a cylinder to burn oil? That's a new one for me.

If you wait to long one cylinder will start to miss fire. Most people don't notice it. By the time they do, that cylinder has misfired long enough the the unburnt gas washing down the cylinder walls has ruined the seal on the rings. So then they come to me for a tune up and within a week that cylinder is misfiring again because of the oil leaking into the combustion chamber. I can most times get the plug fouling to stop by using a one heat range hotter spark plug on the holes that are burning oil. An engine overhaul will stop the oil burning but on an older vehicle most just drive them until they are done

/ Consult needed - Power Steering Fluid #10  
If you wait to long one cylinder will start to miss fire. Most people don't notice it. By the time they do, that cylinder has misfired long enough the the unburnt gas washing down the cylinder walls has ruined the seal on the rings. So then they come to me for a tune up and within a week that cylinder is misfiring again because of the oil leaking into the combustion chamber. I can most times get the plug fouling to stop by using a one heat range hotter spark plug on the holes that are burning oil. An engine overhaul will stop the oil burning but on an older vehicle most just drive them until they are done

Thanks for the explanation