Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #1  

Bluest

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar F14D, DR Wheeled Trimmer
No real point to this thread other than to let people know what I've been using in my old Yanmar, a product I don't think you have in the US. It's a UTO that can be used as an engine oil as well as gearbox and hydrailics. It generated a few interesting comments in the Yanmar forum so thought I would share here.

There are a couple of brands available in the UK, both reputable blenders, so I would hope the product meets the claims. The question is, is it a compromise too far? Jack of all trades, master of none? Or a good way to rationalise the number of cans in the garage?

I've had no ill effects so far, but I don't put that many hours on the tractor in a year, so maybe I've not used it enough to see any negative effects.

The product I use is Fuchs Agrifarm STO Plus AGRIFARM STO PLUS 10W-30 - Fuchs.

Another brand I would use here MORRIS LUBRICANTS :: SUPER FARM UNIVERSAL 10W-30 - AGRICULTURAL OIL

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #2  
It would be nice to only have to keep one kind of oil on hand! For light use, you probably won't have a problem with it.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #3  
I suppose you could run 30 weight oil and it would work. Just not very well-to thick for hyd. and to thin for gear oil.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil.
I suppose you could run 30 weight oil and it would work. Just not very well-to thick for hyd. and to thin for gear oil.

I would hope this product has some additives that help overcome that problem. The gears shift smoothly and the 3ph seems lively enough .

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #5  
Use JD Hy-Gard , CIH Hy-Trans or equivalent. The transmission gears require pressure additives that are not in ordinary hydraulic oil or low end motor oil.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil.
That oil meets GL4 spec, so has some gear oil properties at least and says is suitable for JD J20C and J27 applications whatever they are. As far as I can tell, neither Hy Guard or Hy Trans are available here.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #7  

Actually, if you do the research, you will see that hydraulic transmission oil is only slightly thicker than 30w engine oil. And, 90w gear oil is only slightly thicker than 30w engine oil.

That is why they are interchangeable in some applications.

My LandPride zero turn actually calls for ordinary 30w engine oil in the hydraulics.

I believe it's better to use a product that is specifically made for that task. So, I put gear oil in a diff, hydraulic trans oil in the zero turn drives, and engine oil in a motor. Even if it may not matter in the end.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #8  
That oil meets GL4 spec, so has some gear oil properties at least and says is suitable for JD J20C and J27 applications whatever they are. As far as I can tell, neither Hy Guard or Hy Trans are available here.

No John Deere, CIH , Agco dealers or jobber shops that sell farm lube oil ?

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #9  
An engine oil will do all of the jobs but engine oil is more expensive than hydraulic oil. For example if one looks at Caterpillar fluid recommendations they will find DEO (diesel Engine Oil) as a oil suitable in most hydraulic systems and preferred in many working in high ambient temperatures. There is no problem with foaming like was talked about in the past. Think of what foam instead of straight oil would do to your engine bearings which cannot withstand metal to metal contact. On the other hand hydraulic oil does not have additives to withstand the combustion byproducts that get into crankcase. Transmissions can be touchier. If a transmission has sliding gear mesh they will specify a gear lube with high pressure additives. On the other hand EP additives in general are not compatible with wet clutch and brake discs found in power shift transmissions. People in North America have so many oil choices it's always possible to find one suitable although some stating they meet a specific spec exceed that śpecs requirements more than others. People in some third world countries are lucky to find oil let alone quality oil.

/ Combined engine, gearbox, hydraulic oil. #10  
MHarry. I did not know that the UK is now a 3rd world country . Although with what is going on there the UK and other western European countries are well on thier way to 3rd world status .