How long does hydraulic fluid last?

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #1  

jhp123

Tractor
1965 ford 5000 2000 new holland 1920 4wd, 1974 ford 5000, 1975 ford 9600, 1988 case Ih 885
My tractors get somewhere around 100-150 hrs. of use in a given year. How long should I go before changing hydraulic fluid?

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #2  
My manual recommends 300hrs on hyd./trans fluid.

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #3  
Go by whatever the manual says.

I cannot remember but I think my kubota calls for oil change every 200hrs, but a fresh filter every 100hrs.

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #4  
Check the owners manual(s). I think it makes a difference whether it is a hydrostatic drive tractor or not. On older tractors where the hydraulic system was only for the lift cylinders, we never changed fluid unless it looked like it had dirt or moisture in it. If it's transmission oil, I think you are wise to change every 200 or 300 hours.

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #5  
Good or bad I don't know. I have a 150k machine that has a 70hp dedicated Diesel engine for the hydraulics. This engine does nothing but turn the hydraulic pump. I think it is around 30GPM. The machine has a half dozen or so large cylinders and cycles every 10 seconds. It doesn't get used every week but when it is used it runs around ten hours a day 7 days a week. The fluid has never been changed since it was new in 2007. I would guess it has over 3000 hrs now. The reservoir is large it probably holds 75 gallons. We have busted hoses etc over the years and have probably replaced 30 gallons due to leaks from busted hoses but it has never been completely drained and refilled.

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #6  
Something dedicated to hydraulic cylinders is a bit different. In a tractor, the fluid also lubricates the transmission gears and bearings as well as wet clutch discs inside. Thats why you dont want to run just plain hydraulic oil in there. Use a trans/hydraulic fluid that has additives for that reason. Those additives dont last forever

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #7  
"They" always said about engine oil that it doesn't loose it's lubricating qualities, it just gets contaminated.
So is hydraulic fluid any different? If it isn't dirty and doesn't have any water in it, why change it on any sort of regular basis? I mean, do by all means get rid of the break-in period oil. That's just my thinking.

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last? #8  
"They" always said about engine oil that it doesn't loose it's lubricating qualities, it just gets contaminated.
So is hydraulic fluid any different? If it isn't dirty and doesn't have any water in it, why change it on any sort of regular basis? I mean, do by all means get rid of the break-in period oil. That's just my thinking.

well sort of. yes if it's not in a combustion chamber, changing intervals might be different. doing a visual on the dipstick for any fluid to me would be simplistic to say the least. refer to the model's user manual for each machine on that....if hours are in question in regard to change, the only real way to know is to get a sample analysis.... just looking at the appearance of hyd/trans fluid that may appear clear is imho blind faith... sticking to what your particular manual says is the best bet in terms of change intervals. another variable is whether the machine is parked in or out of weather...moisture can get in the hyd. case if uncovered (and moisture would be far below the dipstick).......best regards

/ How long does hydraulic fluid last?
Hey, thanks for everyone's input on this question. I am thinking that when you look at the headache and cost of fixing/replacing anything having to do with the hydraulics, changing oil at some reasonable amount of hours is probably just a wise thing to do. Maybe it's just cheap (well not that cheap) insurance and very easy to do. Cause' as y'all know, these machines don't break until you need em':) When conditions are favorable you gotta go!