Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #1  

marshallcro

Tractor
John Deere 3720, Farmall Cub, Bobcat 3400
Would anyone know the drain plug torque value for a JD 3720 ?

Thanks in advance.

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #2  
Snug it with a box wrench, then another 1/4 turn. Don't over tighten oil or transmission drain plugs, you don't ever want them to strip out.

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #3  
I always tighten drain plugs to right before the point where they will strip and stop there.....

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #4  
Sorry I can't provide a torque spec, but this is what I do on drain plugs, not that I have any credentials. I use a 1/4 inch ratchet with the 1/4 to 1/2 adapter. Most drain plugs are larger than the 1/4 inch sockets. I then catch up close to the ratchet head with hand, then tighten snugly in this manner. It is just slightly more torque than you would normally apply with a nutdriver. Just a little bit more.

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #5  
How big is the threaded portion. How deep is the thread engagement into the oil pan? Are the female threads aluminum or steel? ... I ask because the drainplug on a tractor may be exposed to projectiles from debris hit by an implement, which could jar a marginally tightened plug to a loose state from which it would slowly spin out.
,,,,Hopefully your plug arrangement is robust enuf to easily support 20 or 30 ft-lb in order to resist accidental loosening.
larry

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #6  
Your only trying to hold the liquid in the pan in, which ISN'T under pressure. You're NOT trying to hold the engine together. Go lightly on the torque.

DEWFPO

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #7  
I haven't torqued a oil pan drain plug, or even considered it, on any vehicle, heavy truck, ag tractor, or construction equipment since I started turning wrenches on stuff in the 60's. But you hear something new every day. But for several years, I have just avoided the whole thing and put Fumoto drain valves on my engine oil pans. Everything from my Jeep and pickup to my semi to my tractor. Sure makes life simpler.

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #8  
Would anyone know the drain plug torque value for a JD 3720 ?

Thanks in advance.

I have already stripped both sides of alluminum oil pan on my Mahindra 4110. 1st one 6yrs ago, 2nd one last year - thank God they were short plugs , went to auto parts store and purchased a longer plug each time -- the longer plugs caught the tread deeper in the hole. I use a craftsnan 1/2 torque wrench at no more than 17/18 lbs. Before that I used snug + 1/4 turn like I did on my autos steel pans

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #9  
I have already stripped both sides of alluminum oil pan on my Mahindra 4110. 1st one 6yrs ago, 2nd one last year - thank God they were short plugs , went to auto parts store and purchased a longer plug each time -- the longer plugs caught the tread deeper in the hole. I use a craftsnan 1/2 torque wrench at no more than 17/18 lbs. Before that I used snug + 1/4 turn like I did on my autos steel pans

Excellent point - aluminum pans are nowhere as forgiving as steel.

Rgds, D.

/ Oil DRAIN PLUG TORQUE #10  
If it's a tapered thread plug, I could see using the 1/8 or 1/4 turn (at most) after lightly snug. But many plugs have a shoulder that contacts the pan and relies on that to seal. Once that type is snug, I think another 1/4 turn into aluminum is asking for trouble.