Mini X drive motor oil?

/ Mini X drive motor oil? #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Greetings. Ive done allot of reading etc here to know that types of oil etc are well discussed.
BUT I find myself more confused than ever. So Id like to add this and see what peoples opinions are.
Machine in question is an older(30 yrs) mini. I was happy when I opened the drive motor drains to see oil was in there. I know the previous owner hadnt checked this and the other previous one is unknown to have checked. So I can only assume that its possible this oil dates back decades.
It appeared to be very blackish color. (what dripped out ) Ididnt drain it yet completely.
So the question is, with the light use this machine will see in my care. I am thinking between 90 weight gear oil, Hydraulic, or even a motor oil.
I know there are allot of opinions on this and that the dealer would of tell me to only use their brand etc.
So Im wondering which of these three would be the best choice. UI remember some explaining that gear oil(90) in rear ends was because it would grip the gears better. But I don't think anyways that the drives are bevel cut gears. At least not from what I've seen online.
So anyways the can of worms has been opened.lo l:laughing:
But I would appreciate people opinions.

/ Mini X drive motor oil? #2  
What is a Mini X ? Is there wet clutches or wet brakes? Hydrostatic drive ? What weather temperature extremes?

/ Mini X drive motor oil?
What is a Mini X ? Is there wet clutches or wet brakes? Hydrostatic drive ? What weather temperature extremes?

A Takeuchi mini excavator. the hydraulic drive motor on each side that runs the track Its the ''gear box' side ,NOT the hdraulic side .So its just gears.
I didnt do a very good job of explaining,now that I read it..

something like this https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...hp-avast-s&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com

So no brakes or hydro in this side of it. just gears turning in some oil its half full of oil

/ Mini X drive motor oil? #4  
Should there happen to be copper, brass or bronze in there. Some oil that is yellow metal safe. With the exception of some extreme pressure applications that spec a GL-5. Any GL-1 through GL-4 gearbox application is well served with Shell Rotella T1 straight weight motor oil. The viscosity specs of a motor oil are different than gear oil. SAE 50 motor oil is somewhere between gear lube 90 and 140.

/ Mini X drive motor oil? #5  
Why even consider anything but a good quality 90wt gear oil? Whats it take, 16 oz per side? I'd flush it with motor oil though, just lift one track up and spin it awhile with motor oil (or hydraulic whatever you have an extra quart of) then dump it out & fill with 90 wt gear oil.

I think its important that the lube in there is clean. I change mine every 200 hrs becaise a new track drive can cost $6,000. If you lost any parts in there it could total the machine. Are you sure the hydraulic motor doesn't run in that oil?

Why even consider anything but a good quality 90wt gear oil? Whats it take, 16 oz per side? I'd flush it with motor oil though, just lift one track up and spin it awhile with motor oil (or hydraulic whatever you have an extra quart of) then dump it out & fill with 90 wt gear oil.

I think its important that the lube in there is clean. I change mine every 200 hrs becaise a new track drive can cost $6,000. If you lost any parts in there it could total the machine. Are you sure the hydraulic motor doesn't run in that oil?

hmm interesting question.But I would assume tat it the gears did run with the hydraulic oil then the drive would not need to be filled. (as there are fill holes).
I like the idea of the flush. I had considered than just didnt think of using disposable motor oil but that's what I might just do.
Ive seen so many posts about the wrong oils.But the 90 weight seems to me to be the best bet.

I know the costs and apparently from what people have posted here there is NO replacement for mine(too old) So want to be sure.
From the manual I found online there are no oil specs for this machine that I can see. But it does show the drive and motor as seperate.Do you ask because you know of some models that do?
Thanks so much for the reply.
chopped

/ Mini X drive motor oil? #7  
On my KX41 there is hydraulic fluid/pressures etc inside the motors (pushing the pistons) and it is sealed inside. Outside the hydraulic motor is the planetary drive gears and the gears run in 90 wt.

Ahh ok yes .I understand now..Its the Planetary gear system I'm thinking about...

Ill just drain and flush as you suggested and then use some 90 weight gear oil in it.I never knew 90 weight gear oil could do damage..As 'Ive always used it in gear systems.

Thanks again//

/ Mini X drive motor oil? #9  
Should there happen to be copper, brass or bronze in there. Some oil that is yellow metal safe. With the exception of some extreme pressure applications that spec a GL-5. Any GL-1 through GL-4 gearbox application is well served with Shell Rotella T1 straight weight motor oil. The viscosity specs of a motor oil are different than gear oil. SAE 50 motor oil is somewhere between gear lube 90 and 140.
Highly unlikely there are any yellow metals in there. You're thinking of a transmission with brass Synchros or other shifting components maybe?. I guess it's possible that some idler has a bronze bush but I doubt it. NOT changing the oil is probably 10x times as bad as & the "wrong" oil.

Highly unlikely there are any yellow metals in there. You're thinking of a transmission with brass Synchros or other shifting components maybe?. I guess it's possible that some idler has a bronze bush but I doubt it. NOT changing the oil is probably 10x times as bad as & the "wrong" oil.

I ended up using 90 weight gear oil in it. the oil that came out didnt look all to bad and no metal that could be seen..I was mostly concerned as they dont make replacements anymore as another poster told me.(thanks)