oil filter question

/ oil filter question #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
I was going to pick up a Fram oil filter at tractor supply but then I wondered if some oil filters are better than others. Also, is there a different oil filter that should be used with synthetic oil? I am planning on using Rotella T6 as frequently suggested here.
Thanks

/ oil filter question #2  
Some say Fram filters are low quality. I buy OEM filters, or Wix filters. NAPA filters I think are Wix filters. Any good oil filter will work with any good oil. I use T6 in my tractor and my Dodge Cummins pickup. I use Mobil Truck and SUV diesel in my diesel VW.

/ oil filter question
Thank you Jim
I guess I will go with a Wix

/ oil filter question #4  
If you read the articles (google oil filter quality) you will find that not all "premium grade" filters are the same and some of the high dollar filters are actually not as good as the $5 filter. ( try this link: Opinions and Recommendations - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources ) Like all products, Fram makes a low quality and a high quality filter. Most all articles I read said the standard Fram filter is adequate but not optimum in filtering ability. However, of the highly recommended brands, Fram Tough Guard is considered very high quality and filters to 10 microns which is very good. I have used Fram filters for 40 years and had no problems with engine failure but I don't put 200K miles on them. My highest mileage vehicle is 104K on wifes 2003 Olds Bravada and it has had Fram filters on it from the start. No oil consumption to date.
I do like to use the Tough Guard Fram filter rather than the cheaper ones although I have used the standard filter on occasion.

If I were putting high mileage between changes while using full synthetic oil, I would certainly go for the very best filter media made.
There are tons of articles on filter media and quality of construction and list good, better and best filters. One just has to decide which he wants to use. Personally I thing almost all of them will do the job and not harm your engine if changed at recommended intervals.

Of the articles I read, Mobil 1, Fram Tough Guard and Pure One were some of the recommended brands to use.

/ oil filter question #5  
The Team Ultras are one of the best filters on the market. I use them with confidence one many things.

/ oil filter question #6  
The Fram Ultras are top tier filters. I use them on my pickup. The Mobil 1's are pretty good. For my compact, I like using the Wix/Napa filters. Wix makes Napa's filters, the part numbers are almost identical. An excellent filter by any standard.

/ oil filter question #7  
Second on the Wix/Napa.... Baldwin are an excellent filter as well. The only ones I use.

/ oil filter question #9  
Actually,Advance Auto Parts purchased General Parts Inc.-who owns Carquest Auto Parts and WorldPac,an excellent import parts supplier,about 1 1/2 years ago.
The light duty filters in standard duty(red) and premium(blue)are made by Champion Laboratories to Carquest specifications.The internals I've seen look just fine!
The heavy duty filters are indeed from Baldwin's Kearney,NE plant.
Part numbers remain the same.

/ oil filter question #10  
Actually,Advance Auto Parts purchased General Parts Inc.-who owns Carquest Auto Parts and WorldPac,an excellent import parts supplier,about 1 1/2 years ago.
The light duty filters in standard duty(red) and premium(blue)are made by Champion Laboratories to Carquest specifications.The internals I've seen look just fine!
The heavy duty filters are indeed from Baldwin's Kearney,NE plant.
Part numbers remain the same.

Thanks. The Baldwin filter move is a good thing. They have filters for our MF (oil, fuel) that were not available under Wix.