The Great Grease Gun Coupler Showdown

/ The Great Grease Gun Coupler Showdown #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
Year ago or so I bought a LocknLube coupler. I used it for a bit and then put it on the shelf. Recently I heard of Univer-Co's version so ordered one. Here's some pics and opinions.

First thing noticed is the bulkiness differences. Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• 20150621_092457 (1280x720).jpg
    20150621_092457 (1280x720).jpg
    400 KB · Views: 1,608
  • 20150621_094020 (1280x720).jpg
    20150621_094020 (1280x720).jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 737
   / The Great Grease Gun Coupler Showdown
The LocknLube is operated by a lever on the side. Normal position is closed. To attach the LnL to a Zerk you have to pull the lever which slides the outer collar back allowing the locking jaws to open and go over the zerk. Release the handle and it's locked on. Pump grease. Then again pull the handle to release the locking jaws and remove the coupler from the Zerk.

20150621_093300 (720x1280).jpg 20150621_093525 (720x1280).jpg 20150621_093756 (720x1280).jpg

The Univer-Co coupler also uses locking jaws. But they are controlled by a sliding outer collar. This collar has a flange that can be pulled. Normal position is open. To attach the Univer-Co you simply push it onto the Zerk like an ordinary coupler. When pressure is applied to the Zerk this releases the collar and it slides forward and it's locked on. Pump grease. Then pull the outer collar to release the locking jaws and remove the coupler from the Zerk. It rests in the unlocked position ready for the next Zerk.

20150621_093617 (720x1280).jpg 20150621_093630 (720x1280).jpg 20150621_093645 (720x1280).jpg

I haven't used the Univer-Co coupler to have an opinion yet. As I do I'll follow-up with pictures and writeup.

At a glance. I like the concept of the Univer-Co model. It's always in unlocked position until snapped onto Zerk. Also it appears easier to unlock. As soon as you pull on the collar the spring loaded internal mechanism pushes the coupler off the Zerk and locks itself open. It's also much less bulky as shown in the first pictures. It's actually no bigger than a regular coupler. I think there are less parts to wear out. I also think it will be less messy to work with.

My complaints concerning the LnL were it's complexity and bulkiness. Also I didn't find it to be tidy and mess free at all. The advantage was that once locked onto the Zerk you didn't have to hold it in place. That was a small enough gain that after a couple tubes of grease I removed it and went back to a standard coupler.

As to a standard coupler. There might be readers that do not realize they are adjustable. By loosening the outer collar they can be set to snap onto and off of a Zerk easier. On a new coupler, if the collar is tightened all the way you might even find Zerks you struggle to remove the coupler from. I keep the collar finger snug so I can adjust it as needed. My only complaint about that is it gets turned out of adjustment by use.

/ The Great Grease Gun Coupler Showdown #5  
I'll be watching your thoughts on the new coupler with interest. I don't care much about a locking coupler for daily greasing, but it sure would be handy for track adjustment on my ctl. I thought about getting a LocknLube coupler, but they look pretty bulky and there isn't much room in there to begin with. The Univer-Co model may just be the ticket. I carry two grease guns...one loaded with cheap TSC grease for the adjuster and one loaded with moly for everything else.

/ The Great Grease Gun Coupler Showdown #6  
Looks like someone had a better idea on couplings. If it is the same size as a normal coupling, then it should be useful in any situation. I especially thought the LNL coupling was a bit too bulky to fit in many of my grease spots. I usually don't have any trouble greasing with a regular coupling when using my pneumatic gun, just hold coupling on zerk with one hand and trigger the gun with the other. No need to spend $35 for a coupling when I got my gun for $24 and it works just as well in most instances.

John, I also didn't think much about the need for a locking coupler. With the LnL it actually slowed down my greasing tasks. Especially when greasing the Road Grader that takes a full tube to complete. I use a Rechargeable Gun so always have a hand free to hold a standard coupler in place.

I found the LnL to be messy. Tend to come away from using it with greasy hands. I never had that problem with a standard coupler. But I might find the same problem with the Univer-Co version. We'll see.

I'm also anxious to see how well the Univer-Co coupler hangs onto a Zerk that isn't wanting to accept grease. It appears to be well built and stout.

I think I paid somewhere around $30 for the LnL. I paid $32 for the Univer-Co.

I too have multiple guns loaded with different grease types.

Looks like someone had a better idea on couplings. If it is the same size as a normal coupling, then it should be useful in any situation. I especially thought the LNL coupling was a bit too bulky to fit in many of my grease spots. I usually don't have any trouble greasing with a regular coupling when using my pneumatic gun, just hold coupling on zerk with one hand and trigger the gun with the other. No need to spend $35 for a coupling when I got my gun for $24 and it works just as well in most instances.

Gary, I don't have my Kubota or Ford here at the shop so can't veryify this. But, there were a few Zerks on the Kubota I couldn't reach with the LnL. I think the Univer-Co will work on those.

My concerns about the Univer-Co would be if the zerk is deeply located to the point that you can't get ahold of the collar to release it???

I agree about the "need". I'm 70 bucks in now. For tools that I can't claim a solid need for. :)

/ The Great Grease Gun Coupler Showdown #9  
So Richard...What kind of rechargeable did you end up with? I thought Lincoln, but I already have a bunch of DeWalt 18 volt stuff so I've been contemplating one of those. I don't have as much to grease as you do, but half bent over, filling the track adjuster full of 1-1.5 tubes of grease after working on the machine is enough to make a guy feel old! ;)

So Richard...What kind of rechargeable did you end up with? I thought Lincoln, but I already have a bunch of DeWalt 18 volt stuff so I've been contemplating one of those. I don't have as much to grease as you do, but half bent over, filling the track adjuster full of 1-1.5 tubes of grease after working on the machine is enough to make a guy feel old! ;)

John, I also have several DeWalt 18V tools. So I bought a DeWalt 18V Bare Tool Grease Gun. I think I paid $130. It has a 3ft hose. Should have bought one long ago. I had a pneumatic a few years ago that I lost in a fire. I like Rechargeable better. No hose to drag around. A battery will pump several tubes of grease.