80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #1  

dylan 413

Tractor
John Deere 1070, Massey Furguson 255
Hello im new to this site and i have a qestion. I just did a full service of my john deere 1070, i used 80w90 in the front diff and in the transmission. Is this ok? using 80w90 gear lube in the hydros and trans instead of hy gaurd?

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #2  
In the differential is fine. I would not use it in the transmission though. I don't have my manual with me to find out what is an acceptable alternative.

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #3  
You don't want 80/90 in a hydro trans. use only trans hydraulic fluid .

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd
You don't want 80/90 in a hydro trans. use only trans hydraulic fluid .

i understand that now but what i want to know is it going to cause huge damage or will it do till the next oil change i just feel like i wasted money dumping 5 gallons in

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #5  
Yes change it. Consider it lesson learned and money wasted

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #6  
Hyguard and 80/90 gear oil are WAY different. It's probably okay now, but it may over pressure stuff and plain not flow in the winter. Transmission oil is about 5 to 10w oil vs. 80/90w gear oil.

Just heat the transmission up good. Don't move any of the hydraulics though. Then drain it and refill. I'd get the low vis Hyguard for sure, not matter what you had in there before.

Ralph

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #7  
Hyguard and 80/90 gear oil are WAY different. It's probably okay now, but it may over pressure stuff and plain not flow in the winter. Transmission oil is about 5 to 10w oil vs. 80/90w gear oil.

Just heat the transmission up good. Don't move any of the hydraulics though. Then drain it and refill. I'd get the low vis Hyguard for sure, not matter what you had in there before.

Ralph

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #8  
No ... I disagree with RalphVa... Dump the transmission & flush it with Hy-Gard... NOW! Then refill it. The transmission is the reservoir for the hydraulic system. So you're trying to pump heavy gear oil through your steering and hydraulic system. Lots of things to go wrong... Pump cavitation, over pressure, seal deterioration, Additives that react with bearing materials. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E...me_pressure_additive
"Sulfur containing EP additives can cause corrosion problems in gears with parts made of bronze, brass and other copper alloys when high temperature environment is encountered.") etc ....

As builderml said ... Consider it lesson learned and money wasted

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd #9  
You could get by with flushing with the fluid you just changed or some of the no name brand stuff that meets whatever code the 1070 calls for. Front should be fine--there's a use for what you'll get out of the transmission; it'll be better thinned out. No way I'd pay to flush with top dollar brand new stuff...

/ 80w 90 gear lube instead of HY Gaurd
thanks for the help ive only use the tractor a little since the oil is in there and the funny thing is the hydros work fine