Amsoil OE ??

/ Amsoil OE ?? #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Has or is anyone here running Amsoil OE in a newer vehicle? I have two major stores (Canadian Tire & Home Hardware) that now sell Amsoil, priced pretty good too.

My 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 calls for 5W30 Dexos licensed, only if it can be found. After some reading, sounds like Dexos carries an expensive licence. Amsoil says they exceed the spec.

Severe gear and OE are priced lower than some off the shelf brands.

I have powertrain Warranty till December 2016/160,000 km.

/ Amsoil OE ?? #2  
I've seen some great oil analysis on OE, personally I don't think it's much different than the XL, expet they took some of the dealers commissions away in order to lower the price (yes I'm a dealer)

You are right about the GM dexos spec, Basically it's an extortion plan for GM to get more money from oil manufactures as they have to pay to put that on each bottle. AMSOIL and many others decided they didn't want to pay this, and say they meet the spec. If you have an issue you would be covered by the AMSOIL warranty.

/ Amsoil OE ??
Excellent. Thank you.

I've seen some great oil analysis on OE, personally I don't think it's much different than the XL, expet they took some of the dealers commissions away in order to lower the price (yes I'm a dealer)

You are right about the GM dexos spec, Basically it's an extortion plan for GM to get more money from oil manufactures as they have to pay to put that on each bottle. AMSOIL and many others decided they didn't want to pay this, and say they meet the spec. If you have an issue you would be covered by the AMSOIL warranty.

/ Amsoil OE ?? #4  
The Amsoil OE is a good oil. I would have no problem using it. I use another brand, but I am not brand loyal as some are and worship at their oil alter regarding the brand they use.

Now the dexos1 thing. If you check your owners manual, it says "dexos1 or equivalent". At least my 2013 1500 manual said that. Now, there is a TSB out from GM themselves, that categorically states that if dexos1 approved oil is not available, then a quality synthetic that meets the GF-5 spec is adequate. So you have two examples, straight from GM themselves, that while they want you to use a dexos licensed oil, they do not require it.

Oh.... the TSB from GM is 13-00-90-001. It even goes so far as to say this same thing on the newer Ecotec motors that use the 20w oils.

Look, they put this stuff out there to prevent users from buying some two bit no-name oil made from dog snot and putting it in their motor. I know some would use the Magnussen Moss Warranty act as an argument that you do not have to use a dexos licensed oil, but we don't even have to go that far. GM themselves acknowledges that a quality synthetic that meets the ILSAC GF-5 spec is adequate. There is nothing going on inside of GM's motors that is all that much different than any other brand. I would contend that most any synthetic or synthetic blend that meets the API SN "Resource Conserving" and the ILSAC GF-5 specs, which are the latest industry oil standards, will work fine in the pickup.

I never used a dexos "approved"oil in my 2013 1500 5.3L or my 2015 2500HD 6.0L. I used the Schaeffer 9000 5w30 full synthetic in both of these vehicles. Never had any concern whatsoever. It met API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and dexos1 specs.

Truth be told, the dexos1 only differs a little from the other specs in two areas.... it requires a maximum of 12 NOACK, or burn off rate, and it has a little higher anti oxidation requirement. Interesting, that GM pushes the ethanol thing is a major way, the GF-5 spec regarding ethanol far exceeds the dexos1 spec when it comes to ethanol. Look at any "spider" diagram that overlaps the various specs and shows their strengths and weaknesses.

/ Amsoil OE ?? #5  
In most cases Synthetic Blend will cover Dexos1 requirements. I prefer the full syns but know the blends will work fine.

/ Amsoil OE ??
Thanks again. I am not oil loyal either, but when Amsoil is a little cheaper than other off the shelf brands, really makes me wonder why NOT try Amdoil.

I check the two points you mentioned on the other fotum, TBN to be under 10? And NOACK under 12? Amsoil is under those two Dexos critetia.

I dont bother with E85, only 4 stations in the entire Province that sell it. I do love the stainless steel fuel lines, highflow pump and injectors that come with it. E10 is in all the regular gas up here in Ontario.

The Amsoil OE is a good oil. I would have no problem using it. I use another brand, but I am not brand loyal as some are and worship at their oil alter regarding the brand they use.

Now the dexos1 thing. If you check your owners manual, it says "dexos1 or equivalent". At least my 2013 1500 manual said that. Now, there is a TSB out from GM themselves, that categorically states that if dexos1 approved oil is not available, then a quality synthetic that meets the GF-5 spec is adequate. So you have two examples, straight from GM themselves, that while they want you to use a dexos licensed oil, they do not require it.

Oh.... the TSB from GM is 13-00-90-001. It even goes so far as to say this same thing on the newer Ecotec motors that use the 20w oils.

Look, they put this stuff out there to prevent users from buying some two bit no-name oil made from dog snot and putting it in their motor. I know some would use the Magnussen Moss Warranty act as an argument that you do not have to use a dexos licensed oil, but we don't even have to go that far. GM themselves acknowledges that a quality synthetic that meets the ILSAC GF-5 spec is adequate. There is nothing going on inside of GM's motors that is all that much different than any other brand. I would contend that most any synthetic or synthetic blend that meets the API SN "Resource Conserving" and the ILSAC GF-5 specs, which are the latest industry oil standards, will work fine in the pickup.

I never used a dexos "approved"oil in my 2013 1500 5.3L or my 2015 2500HD 6.0L. I used the Schaeffer 9000 5w30 full synthetic in both of these vehicles. Never had any concern whatsoever. It met API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and dexos1 specs.

Truth be told, the dexos1 only differs a little from the other specs in two areas.... it requires a maximum of 12 NOACK, or burn off rate, and it has a little higher anti oxidation requirement. Interesting, that GM pushes the ethanol thing is a major way, the GF-5 spec regarding ethanol far exceeds the dexos1 spec when it comes to ethanol. Look at any "spider" diagram that overlaps the various specs and shows their strengths and weaknesses.

/ Amsoil OE ?? #7  
I have not used amsoil in anything but two stroke air cooled stuff. I have not seen it local and thier prices on the web are rediculos when compared to say Mobil1 which i consider a very good synthetic oil.

/ Amsoil OE ?? #8  
clemsonfor,

I would normally agree, but have noticed in the past year or so that prices for M1 products (and other store bought synthetics) have shot through the roof! The normal prices exceed Amsoil full synthetic in some stores! I think normal price for 5w-30 M1 is $9.99 per quart at the box stores. Not sure about Wally World. I think I paid the dealer fee and about $7.50/quart for Amsoil full syn, and bought trans oil and other stuff to make the purchase worth it.

If M1 is on sale, I buy it. I'm on a Rotella kick right now due to the mail in rebate. When the on shelf synthetic is regular price, I'll order Amsoil at a minor discount.

/ Amsoil OE ?? #9  
clemsonfor, I would normally agree, but have noticed in the past year or so that prices for M1 products (and other store bought synthetics) have shot through the roof! The normal prices exceed Amsoil full synthetic in some stores! I think normal price for 5w-30 M1 is $9.99 per quart at the box stores. Not sure about Wally World. I think I paid the dealer fee and about $7.50/quart for Amsoil full syn, and bought trans oil and other stuff to make the purchase worth it. If M1 is on sale, I buy it. I'm on a Rotella kick right now due to the mail in rebate. When the on shelf synthetic is regular price, I'll order Amsoil at a minor discount.

I get 5 quarter jugs of M1 for $22.99 at my Walmart. Tough to beat that for a Synthetic!

Chris

/ Amsoil OE ?? #10  
clemsonfor,

I would normally agree, but have noticed in the past year or so that prices for M1 products (and other store bought synthetics) have shot through the roof! The normal prices exceed Amsoil full synthetic in some stores! I think normal price for 5w-30 M1 is $9.99 per quart at the box stores. Not sure about Wally World. I think I paid the dealer fee and about $7.50/quart for Amsoil full syn, and bought trans oil and other stuff to make the purchase worth it.

If M1 is on sale, I buy it. I'm on a Rotella kick right now due to the mail in rebate. When the on shelf synthetic is regular price, I'll order Amsoil at a minor discount.

I dont buy it buy the quart. I think i just paid about $23.99 for it or was it $22.99 like DP said? It had gone up a dollar a jug for awhile and just recently came back down.

These are 5 quart jugs so that is less than $5 a quart. I have not seen a single oil that amsoil makes come close to that price.