How do you store your grease cartridges?

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
Ok, I know this is a bit weird... I always have trouble clearing air pockets when I change grease cartridges (Lincoln side handle gun). I follow directions to unscrew the body and push the follower until grease oozes out before tightening but it usually takes me several or more attempts before I can get the gun to push grease.

I noted last time that when grease cartridges are stored upright in the factory box (TSC brand) that the air pocket in the cartridge is naturally at the smaller diameter unsealed end that ends up being at the bottom of the gun body when used. That means the air pocket is not near the head and therefore not as easily expelled. Wouldn't it make sense to store them "upside down" so the air pocket is close to the pop top side of the cartridges?

Am I the only one who spends fifteen minutes changing grease cartridges and making a mess each time???

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #2  
I own four grease guns so I don't have to change cartridges. I thought this tread would be about storing that mess. :)
I keep the guns laying in an old turkey roasting pan, which does double duty as a catch pan for oil changes.

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #3  
insert the tubes , don't tighten the body , leave a place for the air to escape ... push the return plunger in .... then pump the gun handle 5 or 6 times ... catch the excess grease ... then tighten the body of the gun ....

/ How do you store your grease cartridges?
insert the tubes , don't tighten the body , leave a place for the air to escape ... push the return plunger in .... then pump the gun handle 5 or 6 times ... catch the excess grease ... then tighten the body of the gun ....

I do exactly that but most often simply don't get rid of the air the first few tries. Wouldn't it be easier if the air pocket was already at the body-head interface rather than at the bottom of the grease tube?

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #5  
Do you have a bleeder screw in the head?

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #6  
   / How do you store your grease cartridges? #7  
That's what I was wondering - mine has a spring loaded bleed button in the head.

My new power gun has that and my old pump model has a pipe plug to bleed.

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #8  
Bleeder button on mine seems to do the trick.

/ How do you store your grease cartridges? #9  
I bought a big semi-clear shallow plastic storage bin w/cover from the Wally. Keep it on the floor in an out of the way corner. Lay all my loaded guns in there along with plastic containers with needle attachments/different heads/etc.. Keeps the mess all in one spot with a dust cover. Have not had much problem with air pockets in the laying down guns... not that I remember. Have to hit them on the side once and awhile if the springs aren't fully pushing the plungers...